Nine week olds won't use roosting bar at night, how do I teach them?

lceh

Songster
11 Years
Oct 15, 2008
Central Virginia
My 9-week-old bantams are still sleeping huddled up in a pile in the corner of the henhouse at night and ignoring their roosts. During the day they hang out on the roosts, so I know they're not too high or too big around for them. Why don't they sleep there? Will they learn to on their own, or do I need to teach them somehow? They're sleeping in the nesting box now, which will become a problem when they finally start laying eggs....

Have you tried placing them on the roost at night? Close or remove the nesting boxes, you don't want them in there.

Mine are roosting up at the peak of the roof and I am trying to get them to go on their roost which is much cooler and has a spot for their poop to go rather than down my clean wall. They just squawk at me when I move them and go back as soon as I leave. Dang birds....

Last edited:
If it was me I would wait till dark, then go out and set each one onto the roost! It might only take a couple nights of doing this for them to learn. It's just what I would do tho!
smile.png

My 6 week old Buff Orpingtons won't go in at night...I have to go out put them on their perch then lock up...I figure they will get it soon..only been outside a week now

Back
Top Bottom