Nipple drinker

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
Any tricks to getting babies to take to a nipple drinker? I have them started on a regular one but the shavings in the water are becoming quite an aggravation...I ordered the rent-a-coop one with the chick nipple.

A couple of them are using it already but I have not seen them all take to it yet...any hints to get them all to start? TIA

They need to be a week old , I started with rent a coop cup ones then slowly replaced them with horizon nipples. I put up on blocks away from bedding and added steps for chicks to keep the bedding out.

It took me about 1 min to teach mine. I also started with a standard water dish and waited until they were kicking muck into it and changed to a Rent a Coop nipple water. I hung it with the brackets and then just tapped on it with my finger and presto. It does need to be the horizontal ones as they can’t peck hard enough at the vertical ones. I placed a small plastic lid under it to keep the bedding dry.

Our chicks are just over 2 weeks old. Today I removed the regular waterer and left only the HN bucket waterer. They have been observing our big girls using a similar bucket. They are drinking from it. Happy to have a clean water source for the chicks.

Attachments

• brooder1.JPG
    brooder1.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 2
  • brooder2.JPG
    brooder2.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom