Nipple vs. cup waterers and auto fill

Hi, I am new to BYC...and have no experience with chickens yet...I am learning a ton here. I have a silly question. Could chickens drink from large water bottles used for rabbits?

Some folks do use those. I tried them with my parrots years ago and found they dripped and dripped and dripped. The poultry nipples don't drip unless you sit there pressing the lever to the side.

The youtube link shows how its done. THis is where i got the idea from. The L shape he uses is Australia standard. I asked several home supply stores and they don't sell the kind he uses. Not to California code. I used a standard 3 inch L shape drainage connector.

The youtube link shows how its done. THis is where i got the idea from. The L shape he uses is Australia standard. I asked several home supply stores and they don't sell the kind he uses. Not to California code. I used a standard 3 inch L shape drainage connector.

I understand your plight there are a lot of things they sell over seas that we don't have here. A good example are the horizontal nipples I import. I searched for a better alternative to solve my watering problems. Just luck I found these. Some things have to do with codes and rules in general but a lot are just not marketed here. The fitting in the video could be made with a 2 1/2" or 3" PVC sweep and a flange.

Thanks debid!

You're welcome! If you have a small space where a bucket would be in the way, nipples are easily installed in plastic bottle caps. I made a large-capacity waterer for a small space by reusing a 128 oz. Ocean Spray juice bottle (nice, rectangular shape sits flat on the wall) but any bottle with a good seal works. Install a nipple in the cap, drill a tiny hole in the bottom for air (position so it's easy to cover with a finger when you refill it), and construct a makeshift hanger. I made one from scrap wire but most anything supportive would work. I think macrame would be hilarious but I didn't have time for that!

I understand your plight there are a lot of things they sell over seas that we don't have here. A good example are the horizontal nipples I import. I searched for a better alternative to solve my watering problems. Just luck I found these. Some things have to do with codes and rules in general but a lot are just not marketed here. The fitting in the video could be made with a 2 1/2" or 3" PVC sweep and a flange.

Speaking of that, someone posted about a feeding device that is sold in England that is basically a coil about the size of a little finger that is fitted to the bottom of a hanging bucket of feed and the birds peck out the pellets from between the openings of the coils. Does anyone know where to order these from?

I used an old toilet tank and mounted it on a shelf at the top of my coop. Used silicone to seal the bolt holes, swerved down the outlet to 1/2" pvc pipe and continued the line behind the quail cages for drink cups! Works well with rabbit cages and nipple water system as well! Nice clean continuous water and no slime or algae problem!

I bought some cup waterers because I was concerned about nipples leaving wet patches in my bedding (well, the chicken bedding actually
tongue.png
) It's taken us months to get it together and a few day usage has made me realize it isn't the solution either. You see, I was concerned about clean water but the cups get dirty each day and they are a @#$%! to clean out so no point. Plus there will be the problem of freezing in the winter.

Kind of embarrassing, like what was I thinking would happen?

I'm not sure if this could be switched over and be used for feed if so I might use it for chicks....

I have vertical for few years and latest 2 months horizontal nipple water systems. My chickens do like horizontal nipple system better because easy to get a drink. You can solve your nipple system by adding gutter and route dripping water to outside or catch with the container and then empty it yourself if need. My water systems are outside so no wet mess in the coop. I refer horizontal mount as well because easy to attach the nipples to the bucket or 55gal barrel and no need to hang/raise above ground.
To solve the freezing issue, you can use a 25 -100watts submersible aquarium heater in the bucket or barrel.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom