Nipple vs. cup waterers and auto fill

Here's the auto rabbit waterer I made recently.. I'll be posting my chicken, except instead of using tubing I'll use 1in PVC

Hello,
I was looking at backyard chickens web site and see you posted about water cups. I have installed 5 cups and I can push the little level and the cups fill up. After I fill them the chickens drink them and when I come back hours later they are all dry or almost dry. I get worried that they are not getting enough water so I put the old water jug thing back in and they drink from it. Do these cup stay almost dry all the time?

How is this working out for you and have you tried the cups any other way? I really like the cups best and want the best delivery for my girls.

I've got the cups and just hooked them up to a large plastic drum like the home brew people use. It quite large and with six birds I only have to fill maybe once a month. My faverolles use it quite happily. Only thing I find is once a week I give the cups a quick squirt with the hose to keep them clean.

Yes they stay dry. The chickens remember where they got water and will come back and peck at it. They will not fill them. They get a couple drops in thebottom and drink that. They will do that over and over until they get enough but, the do not peck until it is full.

Hi, It's been a long time since I talked about getting these.

We finally got our system set up, 2 cups and they got so dirty every day that we gave up and went back to the old system. I found them difficult to clean without removing the cup. I thought if I kept them around neck height they wouldn't get dirty.
sad.png
Now I'm wondering what I was thinking in the first place assuming they would be cleaner.

Never have a problem. However I am not that worried about it. The drink out of the mud, dogs dish and eat under the rabbit cages so not sure a little stain in a drinking cup will hurt them.

I have vertical and horizontal nipple systems, but not the cup because of the freezing concern.

Vertical nipple system:
Pro:
Need to clean once every few months
It can be outside the run or coop

Con:
Cost more than horizontal nipple system because of the hose, pvp pipe, end cap, and pvc fitting.
Must hang up above ground

Horizontal nipple system:
Pro:
Need to clean once every few months.
It easy to install to the bucket, barrel, and any thing that thick enough to see fit.
No hanging... just put on ground or something like on top of the round wood block, cement block, etc...
Cost less than vertical nipple system because no hose, pcv pipe, end cap, and fitting.

Con:
It must be inside the coop or run.

Last edited:
BluesKat, my girls are picky if the water is dirty they don't drink. Speedy, don't the nipples freeze?

Just use the 50-250watts submersible aquarium heater or birdbath heater if you have power. It depends the size of the your water tank.

Back
Top Bottom