Nipple waterer question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by greathorse, Jul 24, 2010.

1. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I recently changed all of my coops to nipple waterers. I built a PVC apparatus that seems to work quite well. My birds seem to be doing fine on it. My question is simply a curiosity and hoping someone knows the answer. When I had the typical plastic and galvanized waterer I seldom acutally saw the birds drinking. With the nipple waterer there always seems to be a bird at the waterer. Do they drink more frequently and get less per drink or do they just drink more water?

It seems like before they must have sort of filled up on water and been done for a period of time.

Just curios

2. T.E.R.

T.E.R. Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment, FL 32533
    I have been thinking of going to these. Do they work well? and do you have any pics of your set up?

Thanks,

Tony

3. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I will take some picture's of my set up I made up some waterers out of pvc pipe and elbows. The birds take to them very quickly, too early to see if egg production is better, I probably dont have enough birds to be able to have a good test anyway. I only have about 50 birds total.

The thing I like is I an travel without worrying about them running out of water. The water stays clean no containers to clean. I have mine outside so will need to do something very different this winter of course. I set mine up with a barrel of water. They operate on very low pressure so you will need a gravity system of some kind or a pressure reducing valve which can be quite costly.

Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by