Nipple-waterer setups in the winter?

HudokFarm

Songster
8 Years
May 6, 2011
Minnesota
For those of you who have a nipple-waterer setup: how do you deal with winters? Our winters get quite cold here in Minnesota and it is not uncommon to be below zero for several days in a row. It is also well below zero for months on end so we just can't plan on a thaw. We built a new coop and it is insulated. It is not wired. I want to build a gravity fed nipple-waterer, but I need to figure out how to keep it thawed in the winter. Any of you clever folks have a solution for this one?

johnnyboy

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 14, 2012
Mine is "not wired" as well, but I bought two 100' extension cords that I'll run off of my shed. I also plan to use the nipple system but I think I might have to get the electric water heater system for the northern ohio winters

chfite

Songster
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
Taylors, SC
I toss a birdbath heater into the supply bucket for the cold season. Built like a tank. It cycles on and off according to the temperature. In winter, I use a supply bucket with nipples in the bottom. I don't use the tubing with nipples because I fear that the tubing will freeze so far from the supply bucket.

Chris

Top Bottom