nipple waterer

Normally you remove all other water sources, fill your container with water, hang to the desired height, push in on the plungers to get water to flow and show on the tip, get the head bird and show her that this is where water comes from now, and wait. I often am able to just let them peck and see… it is more traumatic for you than for the birds, thankfully. I use horizontal nipples, but the vertical ones are much the same. Below are some of my Banty chicks using their horizontal waterer for the first time.

Nipples are a wonderful invention in the world of bird keeping.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Normally you remove all other water sources, fill your container with water, hang to the desired height, push in on the plungers to get water to flow and show on the tip, get the head bird and show her that this is where water comes from now, and wait. I often am able to just let them peck and see… it is more traumatic for you than for the birds, thankfully. I use horizontal nipples, but the vertical ones are much the same. Below are some of my Banty chicks using their horizontal waterer for the first time. Nipples are a wonderful invention in the world of bird keeping. Best to you and your birds, RJ
How long should I wait if they don't seem to be drinking from them? I've been using the vertical ones on soda bottles forever... But when I changed them to a 5 gallon bucket they absolutely refuse to drink from them?

Chickens are… well chicken. They do not like new things so much. But if they have been using a red vertical nipple on a soda bottle, then they know what is going on. They are perhaps afraid to go under the new bucket? Is the height right for them to reach? Not to high nor to low? I can not think of a reason they won't tap the plunger for a drink, if they are already nipple trained.

You will have to use your on the scene judgement in as what to do… all birds that I have ever shown have adapted to one or the other nipple watering systems.

RJ

I Finally got them to drink from it this morning. I tinkered with the height of it until I got it about even to where the old nipples used to be. Still no drinking. So I went and taped one if then nipples open for a continuous drip... Nope!!!! They were pecking the water drops off the floor!! Hardheads!! Finally, one of my Buff Orpingtons lifted her beak up and pecked a nipple and... Low and behold... Whew... Wipes forehead... Didn't think they were gonna get used to that joker!!!

Glad your birds were able to make the change, sometimes it is harder on the bird keepers than the birds… but yours seem to have been a stubborn one for sure. You and they will love it and never look back.

RJ

Back
Top Bottom