Nipple Waterers (Opinions?)

I got all mine from Neil Grassbaugh. You can contact him here: [email protected]

Not only is he cheaper than any online source I could find, but he will answer any questions you have and give you advice on how to set them up. I am SO not mechanically inclined and I found it easy to set up water systems for all my chickens (and chicks.)

I'm using nipples with my chicks. I bought a mixed age batch and started them as soon as the chicks came home so they were ranging from just a couple days old to 3 weeks. I put the nipple waterer at the larger chicks' height and put a scrap of 2x4 under one nipple for the smaller ones. I also gave them a traditional waterer JIC. It was about 30 minutes until they were all using the nipples and ignoring the regular waterer so I then took that out. I have not had any other water source for them since then and they're all doing great so I'd say they're getting enough.

The area under the waterer stays completely dry. No poop or litter in the water, ever. I'm completely sold on them!

I bought mine from Neil Grassbaugh on here.

I've just been using the regular ones from the pet store, like you would use for a hamster or rabbit. They figure it out pretty quick, but I have sort of touched the ball to make water come out and then put their beaks on it. I think the last batch I 'trained' was just a few days old.

I'm actually quite frustrated right now, as I have two broodies and eggs in an incubator, due out tomorrow, and I can't find one of my waterers - I dread the idea now of using a regular waterer for them and dealing with the mess!
sad.png

Quote:
I bought on of these:

http://www.avianaquamiser.com/news/

I went from a dirty waterer in the brooder to a more disgusting waterer in the coop run! While still in the brooder, I changed over to a water bottle, like you'd use for a rabbit. The chicks got it right away. Then, I didn't have any way to fix it up for the coop and the bottle wasn't big enough so I looked around and finally, after hearing me complain constantly, my husband ordered me one of these! I was worried that the now pullets wouldn't know what to do, since it wasn't exactly the same as the water bottle, but all of them had the hang of it in under 5 minutes! They sell them to make your own, from a bucket, or you can buy them pre-made. I got a pre-made one and it holds 2 quarts. That will be enough for my 4 hens, I think, until perhaps the hottest time in the summer. But I am home all day so I keep a pretty close eye on it. If I increase my flock, I will definitely make a larger one with a couple of nipples on it, in a bucket container.

Yeah, I'm thinking of just ordering some online. Then I'm worried about the heigh issue where it has to be like perfect height for them. Thats a good idea while they're young, I may just hurry and go buy a guinea pig waterer etc. It's the same concept just a little bit different looking.
Thanks for all the feedback, I enjoy reading everyones thoughts.

Okay so, we looked at IFA and they don't carry any nipple waterers. Now I'm just trying to decide I guess, Bell waterers or Nipple waterers?

Back
Top Bottom