nipple waterers

Lotsapaints

Songster
9 Years
Mar 17, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
Do turkeys do well with these? I'm getting some and planning on using them in the turkey pen too. I can use them with the brooder set up I have easily so they could learn young.

Giving you a bump as I do not know - sorry.
hmm.png

I have been using water nipples for about a year with all my chickens,turkeys and ducks. I have not had any problems and do not plan on using anything else. I use the 360 degree push-in nipple from Farm Tek. I just take a 11/32 drill bit and drill a hole in whatever size jug I want and then push the nipple in. It comes with a gasket that keeps it from leaking and works great. I started using them for my Old English show chickens to keep the water cleaner and it has worked great. Then I tried my ducks and poults and they took to it very well.

The eye-to-beak coordination of turkey poults deteriorates as they age. For this reason turkeys need a system that helps assure that poults can still activate the drinker and receive adequate water even when their coordination has deteriorated badly. If you intend to use a nipple drinker for turkeys older than 6 weeks I recommend that you monitor bird weight very closely and switch to an open type watering system if you notice daily weight gain leveling off.

I want to run both types of waters in the pen because I don't trust automatic but I'm going to try it and let you all know how it worked for me they came yesterday and we're installing them today thanks for all the comments

Quote:
I've been using small mammal waterers for my chickens. The biggest I've been able to find holds 32 oz. I had no idea there was something better! I've been loving the cleanliness of the ferret waterer, I've been wishing that there was something bigger, I'm definitely going to look into those nipples. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom