Nipple waterers

abritton77

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
Broken Bow
Ive built a nipple waterer using a 5 gallon bucket and pvc pipe. 2 of the 4 nipples leak and was wondering if that was normal. I just checked today and my bucket is already empty after only 1 day with 6 chickens.

I built the same system, but only used 3 nipples. I also used a drill bit a little too big - but I was happy that it dripped - the chickens quickly learned it had water, and how to get it. After a few weeks, it will not leak so much. Maybe a little sludge or calcium deposits or whatever gets into the leak, and now I only fill the bucket about every week and a half. So unless you're really peeved with it, just keep filling it and wait. (my bucket is 6 ft. high)

I also plan to get the push-in nipples soon, 'cause I want to make another bucket waterer. This time I'll build a little stand off the ground for the bucket and put the nipples directly into the bucket bottom. I'll still use the one with pipe, though. I think these nipples are a great idea - so much better than any other means of watering the chickens.

My mom lives with us - she's memory impaired. She's so cute - she always checks to see if the chickens have water. Every day she forgets that they get water from a pipe! She enjoys the chickens a lot.

When my husband put ours in a couple leaked. If they are not seated correctly they will leak; you can also try plummer's tape it will cure small leaks. Hope this helps:D

Quote:
Head pressure?

Installed at an angle?

Particles in water preventing a seal?

If the nipples are not one piece are they assembled correctly?

Cheap nipples?

Quote:
Head pressure?

Installed at an angle?

Particles in water preventing a seal?

If the nipples are not one piece are they assembled correctly?

Cheap nipples?

They are installed vertically under a 5 gallon bucket. I dont think that they are cheap, they are made out of SS and were bought from a store that supplies commercial chicken houses.

Yes we always have brooded our chicks with rabbit/hamster waterers - I just tap it a couple of times and they come over to investigate and start tapping themselves. I like to get the ones with lighter weight balls - I just kind of go off feel, I don't know a specific brand. They waste way less water, the waterers are cheap and there isn't a wet mess everywhere.

We will have several hatches of 50+ chicks this summer so I think I'm going to switch to the 5gal bucket w/ the nipple waterers just so there's more water per fill-up, but I still have to figure out how I'm going to hang those over my brooder
hmm.png

thank you I'm just getting started going to buy 5-10 chick within the next 2 weeks just starting to get things ready going to look at a shed for a coop this weekend

Back
Top Bottom