Nipple waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by abritton77, Mar 9, 2011.

1. abritton77

abritton77 Chirping

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    Ive built a nipple waterer using a 5 gallon bucket and pvc pipe. 2 of the 4 nipples leak and was wondering if that was normal. I just checked today and my bucket is already empty after only 1 day with 6 chickens.

2. High Altitude Chickens

High Altitude Chickens In the Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    They should not leak. The drill bit you used was probably too large.

3. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chirping

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I built the same system, but only used 3 nipples. I also used a drill bit a little too big - but I was happy that it dripped - the chickens quickly learned it had water, and how to get it. After a few weeks, it will not leak so much. Maybe a little sludge or calcium deposits or whatever gets into the leak, and now I only fill the bucket about every week and a half. So unless you're really peeved with it, just keep filling it and wait. (my bucket is 6 ft. high)

I also plan to get the push-in nipples soon, 'cause I want to make another bucket waterer. This time I'll build a little stand off the ground for the bucket and put the nipples directly into the bucket bottom. I'll still use the one with pipe, though. I think these nipples are a great idea - so much better than any other means of watering the chickens.

My mom lives with us - she's memory impaired. She's so cute - she always checks to see if the chickens have water. Every day she forgets that they get water from a pipe! She enjoys the chickens a lot.

4. meow

meow In the Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    San Angelo
    When my husband put ours in a couple leaked. If they are not seated correctly they will leak; you can also try plummer's tape it will cure small leaks. Hope this helps:D

5. abritton77

abritton77 Chirping

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    They are not leaking at the threads, the nipples them selves are leaking.

6. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Songster

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:Head pressure?

Installed at an angle?

Particles in water preventing a seal?

If the nipples are not one piece are they assembled correctly?

Cheap nipples?

7. no1hilbily

no1hilbily Songster

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    will chicks use a hamster waterer to drink

8. abritton77

abritton77 Chirping

Jan 9, 2011
    Broken Bow
    Quote:Head pressure?

Installed at an angle?

Particles in water preventing a seal?

If the nipples are not one piece are they assembled correctly?

Cheap nipples?

They are installed vertically under a 5 gallon bucket. I dont think that they are cheap, they are made out of SS and were bought from a store that supplies commercial chicken houses.

9. WallTenters

WallTenters Songster

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Yes we always have brooded our chicks with rabbit/hamster waterers - I just tap it a couple of times and they come over to investigate and start tapping themselves. I like to get the ones with lighter weight balls - I just kind of go off feel, I don't know a specific brand. They waste way less water, the waterers are cheap and there isn't a wet mess everywhere.

We will have several hatches of 50+ chicks this summer so I think I'm going to switch to the 5gal bucket w/ the nipple waterers just so there's more water per fill-up, but I still have to figure out how I'm going to hang those over my brooder [​IMG]

10. no1hilbily

no1hilbily Songster

Mar 5, 2011
    Indianapolis
    thank you I'm just getting started going to buy 5-10 chick within the next 2 weeks just starting to get things ready going to look at a shed for a coop this weekend

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: