Nipple Watering System?

niccichick

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 1, 2012
This is NicciChick;

I recently bought a chicken-nipple watering attachment for a 5 gallon water dispenser in an attempt to keep my girls water clean and debris free. I also wanted it so that I could use Apple Cider Vinegar in their water to prevent parasites and keep them healthy, since putting the ACV in their metal waterer rusted it so quickly. They will not peck at the nipples! I've tried tapping them with my finger to show my girls that the water drips out when touched, but all my girls do is attempt to scratch at the dirt to get the droplets of water that fell. I've even tried holding my hand against the nipple so that a constant stream of water flows in hope that this will attract them. Still no interest! I actually left it as their only source of water for 3 days and all they did was wander around and cry. I really want this to work. Anybody got any ideas? I'm worried about leaving that as their only water source since it is so hot in Southern Cal. right now and I'm worried my girls will get dehydrated if I do this. If there is another source of water they will just go to it; defeating the purpose of my nipple system. Am I supposed to let them starve for water for a certain number of days to get this system to work? Also, my girls are only laying 2 eggs a day between all 10 hens. I have 6 Buffies and 4 Black Australorps. They were laying 1 a daly each until the hot spell hit. Help!

Blessings,
NIcciChick

I bought some red colored nipples and put them in the screw on caps from gatorade bottles.I put some bailing wire around the bottle.I hang mine upside down(nipples down)and i just reached in and wiggled the nipple stick a few times and got the chicks interested,once one of them pecked at it,they all learned quik,one day. Oh i had to put a pin hole on the bottom so they would work,some kind of vacum thing.The wire i twisted double and shaped it like a hook,so i can just hang it up on the wire.My gatorade bottles are the smaller ones.Sure is a lot cleaner and healthier than brown poop water for my gals.
i even broke down and bought the correct sized drill bit,11/32 i think.The bit has an end that fits in a quik change screw driver so i do it by hand,it isnt to hard with plastic.

Thanks so much, I'll try that and then maybe move the nipples back to the 5 gallon tub after they take to them.

NicciChick

Back
Top Bottom