Nipple watering

When I first started with the nipple system I kept sitting there watching to make sure they were drinking. When I stopped looking, they all got it behind my back LOL That was about 3 weeks ago. Very hot here at the moment and none of them appear to be dehydrated. Trust the system it works and is brilliant!

There are hundreds of people on BYC that have converted to horizontal nipples. There is not one post that says " I converted to horizontal nipples and they died of thirst " I think we all worry too much.

I just brought home my first chicks, 4 of them picked them up an hour after they arrived at the feed store, drove 45 minutes home, put them in the brooder with my EcoGlow and 2 nipple waterers.......in seconds they were drinking water with no issues... I was amazed these guys are brilliant! Glad I went for it and was not scared off, much cleaner brooder. They are active and happy so far!!! Thanks for all the great advice!

There are hundreds of people on BYC that have converted to horizontal nipples. There is not one post that says " I converted to horizontal nipples and they died of thirst " I think we all worry too much.

The posts are just like yours sacchick welcome to the new age of watering. LOL

When teaching day old chicks to drink from the nipple do you have to put their beaks up to it? Like when you dip their beaks in the water to show them where it is. I am going to be using nipple waterer for the first time in my brooder hoping to keep the water and brooder cleaner.

When teaching day old chicks to drink from the nipple do you have to put their beaks up to it? Like when you dip their beaks in the water to show them where it is. I am going to be using nipple waterer for the first time in my brooder hoping to keep the water and brooder cleaner.

Just my opinion!!!
I have never had to dip their beaks to get them to drink. C
an't hurt to do it, mine always seem to find and drink the water. I think that dipping their beaks is more for the poultry owner than for the poultry. LOL
I just give the nipple a little flick so it is not dry. There are hundreds of post that state that they removed all other water. Their birds started using nipple in a matter of hours. If you think that they need a dip do it there is no way it can hurt. If you want the opinion of a pro you can contact the Solway US rep. using the contact seller here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221371433386?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Just my opinion!!!
I have never had to dip their beaks to get them to drink. C
an't hurt to do it, mine always seem to find and drink the water. I think that dipping their beaks is more for the poultry owner than for the poultry. LOL
I just give the nipple a little flick so it is not dry. There are hundreds of post that state that they removed all other water. Their birds started using nipple in a matter of hours. If you think that they need a dip do it there is no way it can hurt. If you want the opinion of a pro you can contact the Solway US rep. using the contact seller here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221371433386?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

I agree I put my new chicks in the brooder and within 20 seconds they were tapping the water nipple. As usual once one does it they all join in. I have 2 waterers in my brooder just in case and they use them both!!!

Thanks to all the posters for the advice, I purchased the following nipple watering spigot

http://www.randallburkey.com/BriteTap-Chicken-Waterer/productinfo/4463/#.U0WHX2-YZaQ

and put it on a cooler from Home Depot - I was so surprised how fast my chicks learned to drink from it! They LOVE it, even sort of taking "showers" - oh well, a happy chicken lays more eggs, right? :) This is a video taken immediately after I put it in the brooder cage:

I'm new to chickens (now have my first batch of 4 week olds.). But I did a lot of research before they arrived and came to the conclusion that I wanted to use the horizontal nipples.

The chicks got here before the nipples did, so they used the standard chick-mason-jar-waterer for a week. Then I took that out and put in a small bucket with a horizontal nipple on each side.

( http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-HORIZONTAL-POULTRY-CHICKEN-WATERING-NIPPLES-/221392072735 )

We have (had <cry>) 3 various breeds and 4 faverolles. The EE was the first to figure it out. Took about 15 minutes. Took the next 2 about 15 more minutes and they were good. I noticed that the faverolles didn't seem too interested, but I figured that they would get with the program since their sisters were doing well with it.

Next morning I watched for quite a while and while "the 3" were still using the nipples, the faverolles still didn't seem to "get it".

I was worried about dehydration in such little bodies in such a warm enclosure, so I what I did was pick each faverolles up, put her head near a nipple, flick it so there was a drop of water in the little spout, and then stuck her beak in it. Repeat a couple times for each faverolles.

VOILLA! Ever since then everyone is with the program. There have been a few discussions between my wife and I about "are they getting enough water" since the constant fillings and cleanings of the old jar was so frequent, and now it's maintenance free except for the VERY occasional refill. But we decided to stick with it, and it's been about 2 weeks and they're all still doing just fine.

Funny you mention strange chicken behavior. With both the water and the food, when I refill them they ALL GO APESH*T like I have been starving them. Even though the feeder/waterer was still half full when I did it. I think this is just the chickens way of positive reinforcement for humans. "See, keep it full and we'll eat/drink better!!!!"

Edit: Forgot I have a video showing some of the birds drinking from said system:

Last edited:
The chicks got here before the nipples did, so they used the standard chick-mason-jar-waterer for a week. Then I took that out and put in a small bucket with a horizontal nipple on each side. We have (had ) 3 various breeds and 4 faverolles. The EE was the first to figure it out. Took about 15 minutes. Took the next 2 about 15 more minutes and they were good. I noticed that the faverolles didn't seem too interested, but I figured that they would get with the program since their sisters were doing well with it. Next morning I watched for quite a while and while "the 3" were still using the nipples, the faverolles still didn't seem to "get it". I was worried about dehydration in such little bodies in such a warm enclosure, so I what I did was pick each faverolles up, put her head near a nipple, flick it so there was a drop of water in the little spout, and then stuck her beak in it. Repeat a couple times for each faverolles.
I think it takes more than a day or two for them to get seriously dehydrated unless of course it is very warm or hot where you live right now. Our EE/Ameracaunas have also always been the quickest to figure out the nipples. Smarter than the average bird or maybe just more attuned to thirst! The only drawback of the horizontal nipples (vs the vertical ones) that I've found is that they do not work for cross-beaked chickens or of course ducks. We have to keep the vertical nipple waterer still in place so our cross-beak can drink. If she weren't also laying lots of good eggs, I might just cull her for some meat. For chicken owners, I think the horizontal nipples are the best. But if you have other poultry, such as ducks or geese, their wide tipped bills can't reach the water in the tiny pocket of the H-nipples. It's really nice to not have wet birds (in sub-zero weather) nor have a pile of wet bedding (or ice hill in freezing temps) under the waterer like we did with the V-nipples.

Back
Top Bottom