Nipple watering

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lorraine Perth, Feb 2, 2014.

1. nerd0geekboyz

nerd0geekboyz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    NorCal
    I had the same experience where the hens would seem to drink more water when I left out a bucket of water versus the nipples. Now, I don't put out a bucket of water. Their only choice is to get water from the nipples. All the hens are healthy and laying production is great.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  2. estamets

estamets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Anaheim, CA
    Phew! Just successfully got my last baby drinking from the nipple waterer. (They are three weeks old.) The first one learned in 10 minutes, the second in an hour, the third took me holding her beak to the drip (I used a rubber band to hold it open so I had both hands for her) after 4 or so hours of her trying to drink the drops on the floor below, and the last one (my shiest) took 7 hours and two rounds of beak dripping. She was starting to get really droopy and I was super concerned about dehydration.

Tonight they'll go back inside to a dark brooder with a traditional mason jar waterer. I'm trusting that they'll remember the nipple techniques in the morning when they go back outside.

I think it's hilarious that their first technique is to peck viciously at the nipple, and over time they learn to gently hold their beak next to it or at its top.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  3. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

4. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

Nevermind....
    I just ordered them :))))

Susan

5. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Lovin the nipple waterers clean water and it didn't take long for the chicks to learn after the first one used it.

6. rfeyer

rfeyer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    Johnstown New York
    I have used the vertical nipples for about 6 weeks, have had wet floor underneath during the whole time (and no self leaking nipples, seems like the water runs down when the birds activate them).
    I have installed a new bucket with 5 horizontals, and not a single drop of water, so, they are the wi nners in my book

Disclaimer: I am not in any way associated with any company or seller of these

7. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    The nipples are letting out to much water when the birds drink. This is caused by poor design or water pressure that is to high. It can also be that the nipple height above the birds is incorrect.

8. chad-o

chad-o Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013

Or it could be that Horizontal Nipples are just better.

9. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Well they certainly don't take as much human mental involvement to operate at the maximum level of performance they can attain.

10. nasturtium

nasturtium New Egg

Jun 10, 2014
    Are there different size nipples? I ordered some from Amazon and they are a lot smaller than I expected them to be. I've been having the chicks drink from a bird waterer (like for finches or hamsters with the little ball-bearing). I'm hoping that they transition well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by