Nipples or cups for the young chickies?

WhFarms23

In the Brooder
May 23, 2021
Hi, I'm new to the poultry world! Quickly learning that it is a fun and exciting place! Anyway I had a question regarding raising young chickens. Recently I hatched some eggs of mixed breeds given to me by a friend. They are now 3-4 weeks old. When I go to the feed store I see lots of poultry watering cups and drinking nipples. Currently the chicks are using the standard screw on bottle waterers. They seem to enjoy them but make a mess of things by flinging the water out or turning over the waterer! :idunno I want to implement a cleaner less messy watering system for my chicks. Thus I have begun to consider the cups vs the nipples. Which is better for chicks and eventually adults? Also how many should I install of either per bird? All advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi, I'm new to the poultry world! Quickly learning that it is a fun and exciting place! Anyway I had a question regarding raising young chickens. Recently I hatched some eggs of mixed breeds given to me by a friend. They are now 3-4 weeks old. When I go to the feed store I see lots of poultry watering cups and drinking nipples. Currently the chicks are using the standard screw on bottle waterers. They seem to enjoy them but make a mess of things by flinging the water out or turning over the waterer! :idunno I want to implement a cleaner less messy watering system for my chicks. Thus I have begun to consider the cups vs the nipples. Which is better for chicks and eventually adults? Also how many should I install of either per bird? All advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I use nipple feeders for both adults and chicks (starting from 6 weeks old).

Attachments

• 82E7D85D-3149-4616-9F27-B3095272A363.jpeg
    82E7D85D-3149-4616-9F27-B3095272A363.jpeg
    308.6 KB · Views: 9
I know the cups work too, it’s just preference.

Thanks! They seem to be easier to install over the cups. However, I did see this thing were they are notorious for leaking. Is this true? If so what did you do to remedy it? Also how many nipples do you use per bird? Is there a set rule or ratio to follow?

Thanks! They seem to be easier to install over the cups. However, I did see this thing were they are notorious for leaking. Is this true? If so what did you do to remedy it? Also how many nipples do you use per bird? Is there a set rule or ratio to follow?
I have never had it happen to me, but I saw a YouTube video where he says things get in it and it gets stuck. Never happened to me, but @3KillerBs used it for longer than me.

Horizontal nipples don't leak if properly installed. They need to fit very snugly, drilling the installation hole too big (or conversely, cracking the hole while installing with a hole that's too small) is probably what would most likely causes leakage.

Or you can just buy a waterer with the nipples already installed, if you don't want to DIY.

I have a 5 gallon bucket with 4 nipples for 12 girls. My first bucket leaked from one or two nipples, in hindsight because my drill wiggled and the hole became a tad too big. Made the second one more carefully, hasn't leaked yet. If they leak because some particles gets wedged in the o ring, just have to wiggle it until it resets and stops leaking. Best things to keep water clean. I hated when my chicks pooped in the water of the one with the fill and turn over container, which I had to clean daily or more. I also made a smaller waterer with a heavy duty plastic bottle with 2 nipples for a jail or tractor.

Thanks that answers my leak question! I am definitely a DIYer!:D @PopoMyers I saw you have 4 nipples for 12 chickens. That's a 1 to 3 ratio. Is that set in stone or can I make the ratio of nipples to chickens whatever I want?
As long as the bucket of water is filled, 4 nipples work great for my 20 chicken flock.

Back
Top Bottom