Nipples or cups for the young chickies?

Thanks that answers my leak question! I am definitely a DIYer!:D @PopoMyers I saw you have 4 nipples for 12 chickens. That's a 1 to 3 ratio. Is that set in stone or can I make the ratio of nipples to chickens whatever I want?
It does not have to be a specific ratio. Just make sure they have water at all times and your good! You may need a couple waterers if you have a few chickens that are much lower in the pecking order and are smaller.

It does not have to be a specific ratio. Just make sure they have water at all times and your good! You may need a couple waterers if you have a few chickens that are much lower in the pecking order and are smaller.
Thank you for the tip! i will try to keep a 1 to 3 ratio with my flock and see how that does!

I would suggest the horizontal nipples over the cups. The cups can freeze in the winter and it could be harder for the chickens to figure out how to refill the cups. I use this bucket, it's heated for winter use and has worked great for me for years! I do have it sitting on some bricks so the chickens can reach it better

Attachments

• 51wnl0v71FL._AC_SY780_.jpg
    51wnl0v71FL._AC_SY780_.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 11
I tried cups and really really did NOT like them. They broke, got muddy, and were harder to keep clean. I’ve always gone back to the horizontal nipples, they’re really easy to DIY or you can buy a waterer. I got a winter one that is heated from Premier 1, and for summer I use a big bucket with a lid that snaps on and screwed the nipples into it. Stays perfectly clean and free of debris and it’s also easy to scrub out. However, I know my chickens do have a preference. They like water they can scoop up and drink, and would pick the cups over the nipples. But unfortunately they’re not reliable enough for me, not to mention higher maintenance.

Hi, I'm new to the poultry world! Quickly learning that it is a fun and exciting place! Anyway I had a question regarding raising young chickens. Recently I hatched some eggs of mixed breeds given to me by a friend. They are now 3-4 weeks old. When I go to the feed store I see lots of poultry watering cups and drinking nipples. Currently the chicks are using the standard screw on bottle waterers. They seem to enjoy them but make a mess of things by flinging the water out or turning over the waterer! :idunno I want to implement a cleaner less messy watering system for my chicks. Thus I have begun to consider the cups vs the nipples. Which is better for chicks and eventually adults? Also how many should I install of either per bird? All advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I started my chicks out with a basic chick waterer and it was always filled with poop and shavings when I checked on them.They made a huge mess so I resorted to changing the water often until they were bigger and went with cups on a 5 gallon bucket .I chose cups because I want my chickens to get a big drink of water when they're hot or thirsty . The cup I use have liners and they pops in and out easily .Mine don't leak .I will be using a heated dog water bowl this winter...Hope this helps!

I have never had it happen to me, but I saw a YouTube video where he says things get in it and it gets stuck.

My waterers are all set up on blocks so that the nipples are at the height of the tallest chickens' beaks (with an extra block for the shorter chickens to stand on). Nothing ever gets into the nipples.

That's a 1 to 3 ratio. Is that set in stone or can I make the ratio of nipples to chickens whatever I want?

I don't know what the recommended ratio might be. I just set them in the container at what seems to be an appropriate interval -- visualizing the size of the chickens standing there using them.

I never have fewer than 2 separate waterers in case one fails in some fashion and, since I'm in a hot climate, currently have 3 waterers with more nipples than I have chickens in the pen where I have 5 adults and 4 juveniles.

Back
Top Bottom