Nite Guard Solar-Powered Night Predator Light

How would you know if something like that was working, unless you sat out there and watched it scare away a predator? In other words, maybe this device is working, or maybe a predator just hasn't come around ...yet.

I certainly wouldn't rely on anything like this as my only defense against predation. There still isn't anything like a good, old fashioned secure coop and run.

You still need to have buried hardware cloth all around your house and run, along with a good heavy duty netting over the run. My run is 25x50ft covered with netting. I recently lost 5 girls to either a fox or raccoon, maybe possum, don't know. So I believe something dug under my cool because it has come three different times now. So more wire and then maybe the light also.

Sandy K, you brought this thread back to life. No one had posted since 2010. I just bought 4 Nite-Guards $18.99 each. Going to purchase about 6 more. I have a lot of bird habitat to protect with peacocks, pheasants and swans. All pets. My pens are securely built with welded wire ............ also laying out 2 to 3 feet on the ground so nothing can dig under. Unfortunately I have a huge bird courtyard with netting from 8 to 12 feet high. All went well for 3 years then a raccoon found it's way in, ate my beautiful 2 male Red Golden pheasants and hurt my White peacock pretty bad. Nursed him back to health over 2 month period. He fully recovered. I now keep a baby monitor on with hearing end outside to pick up all sounds. Dog's and I are out in a flash if birds screaming. I'll put an electric charge around the courtyard when I get time.

Sorry you lost your girls. I set live traps to catch culprits and send them off to animal heaven. Once they score food they keep coming back.

Since predator hunters normally use red lenses over their lights to capitalize on the lack of red spectrum color receptors in most predator's eyes, I would be interested in whether or not this product was effective at doing anything besides taking money out of people's pockets.

Since predator hunters normally use red lenses over their lights to capitalize on the lack of red spectrum color receptors in most predator's eyes, I would be interested in whether or not this product was effective at doing anything besides taking money out of people's pockets.

LOL, maybe I won't buy 6 more.

Been using these for 8 years and have not lost a chicken to a night predator since. Had coons and coyotes at my coop and tractors at night constantly. Eventually would make their way in under ground or through fencing until getting the lights. It's a terrible feeling to go out multiple mornings through the years to find blood and partial carcasses lying around. Have not had to see any of that since acquiring these. I had to position them for the height of the animals I am detering along with taking into consideration the lay of the land - uphill, downhill - to be at eye level with the predators.
Will hear the coyotes at night barking and howling all the time but never get close any longer. When my guinea hens sleep in the top of our trees, I have one facing the sky and since then have not lost a guinea. Different species of owls are very prevalent here.

We now have families of red and gray foxes and bob cats in the area and have not had any prints around the pens but we will see them in the woods during the day hanging out watching. That is when my GP and my German/Boxer mix get in on the protective action.

I started using these lights too about a year ago after a fox (we think) dug into our coop & took 3 RIRs & 2 ducklings in one night. There are weekends we also go camping so the girls are in the run but not locked into the coop for a night or two at a time. I wouldn't go without these lights as we've never had any other night time losses. I've gotten mine on Amazon pretty cheap

Back
Top Bottom