Nite Guard?

Mikee1948

Songster
8 Years
May 19, 2011
Do you use it, and does it work? Importantly, how annoying is it to have those lights blinking all night for neighbors. There house is 30 yds from the coop. Is there a side peripheral flash detected?

I use it. cut down the racoons and possums lots. yes, there is a peripheral flash. I dont really care about the flashes with neighbors, no complaints yet.

you can move it from the different sides of the coop, this way you rotate the nuisance.

this timing is funny. my wife just asked me about one of these things since we had something (skunk maybe?) dig under our A-frame ark the other night to get some meat scraps i foolishly left in there for the chickens. i just now told my wife i would post a question about these night light predator deterrents, and here i see this post at the top. so i will be looking forward to seeing everybody's replies.

so how bright is the flash? not like a camera i would hope. more like a blinking light?

-eric

The box is only maybe 3-4" square and the red light is not even the size of a pencil eraser. It is very bright, can been from far away, but nothing like a camera flash since it is so small. There have been other threads on this and several people have had great results with them. I have been very careful to hardware cloth every inch of my coops and have one of these as an extra level of protection on my big barn. So far, I have not had a loss. I am ordering another for a new location.

I have my dogs lot right next to my chickens. I have not had any trouble yet. I think the dog is enough of a deterant to keep them away. Atleast I hope so!!!!

I am also curious as to how long the battery lasts. How much daylight does it require, as I live in a semi wooded environment.

smile.png
One was given to us as a present. We live in a semi-wooded environment but it gets light everyday if the sun is shining. We hung it on the coop, but I've never seen it flashing. So I don't know if it is working. How do you tell? We've never seen any predators about.

I've had mine well over a year and the solar energy charges them quite well.

I don't care if people scoff about predators being color blind, but I swear by both NiteGard and NiteEyes. (I have both in use.) The lights are quite bright but you put the things down at predator eye level, so they don't shine in anybody's windows!

I had NIGHTLY raccoon predation of my fish ponds before I got chickens. So their pen was very secure... then I found and purchased a set of NiteGard lights and put them up. That very night, the raccoon predation stopped, and the ponds were near the chicken run, not inside it. The ONLY predation which occurred afterwards were nasty blue jays flying into the coop through the open pop door to steal eggs and one visiting opossum youngster during the daylight.

I've now moved up into the foothills to a very rural area with LOTS of predators. The lights are still working; I have lost two ducklings and two tween-aged chickens when they went outside of the NiteGard perimeter AT NIGHT.

I plan on buying a few more to expand the perimeter.

Back
Top Bottom