Nitrogen Fertilizer on Grass where Geese/Ducks Graze?!

echix

Songster
12 Years
Apr 18, 2007
TEXAS
I am trying to find out if spraying the grass with Scott's Miracle-Gro and then watering it into the soil would be bad if the geese are grazing on the grass.

I also need to spray the garden with it and they go in there and eat weeds.

We are in Texas - we have 4" cracks (width) by 3 feet deep in the ground and it is getting very bad! The grass that is left around the house is turning yellow because we have had no rain but I water it - it is getting NO NITROGEN/PHOSPHATE/POTASH OR ANYTHING because the water is well water and it's not enough just to water, it is dying - it has to have the nutrients from the rain!

The geese run all around the house and graze on the grass... but it is dying out and the fields are already desert. You can't imagine.

So... I want to spray the grass with Miracle-Gro and then water it into the soil to save the grass so the geese can graze it....

Again, it is yellow not from drought, from lack of nutrients. WE have not had rain in over 8 months!

Any ideas/help? The makeup of Miracle-Gro is:

3.5% ammoniacal nitrogen
20.5% urea nitrogen
Available phosphate 8%
Soluable Potash 16%

It says Derived From: Ammonium, Sulfate,Potassium Phosphate, Potassium chloride, Urea and Urea Phosphate.

I wouldn't do it. Any area the geese have access to is going to get 'fertilized' naturally. I don't use any chemicals anyway. I think most of the country is praying for you to get some rain. I put rubber mats in the pens and drag them to the fruit trees to wash them off.

Good luck - hope it gets better soon.

Mostly these are natural chemicals and elements found in rainwater as well ....... aren't they??

My dad said (he's 76 and I'm 40ish and still listen to him LOL) that it was probably not bad for them... said to just water it down real good into the grass/soil and keep them off the area a day or so - it's not like raw fertilizer it's the stuff you mix in the sprayer with the liquid - it puts very little in with the water and fertilizes it through the sprayer.

I dilute it further washing it down with the hose/etc. I did the garden this Summer and kept them out for a day or so and kept watering and watering and they did fine.....

Anyone have any experience here?

Well, no one replied so I called Scotts the manufacturer.... .Miracle-Gro the kind you put in the container and hook the hose up to and water your flowers/plants with they said would be ok - let it dry and then water it down in the soil again.... they said it doesn't have anything really harmful to geese, waterfowl, cats, dogs, kids... etc. in it unless they ate it straight out of the container.

So....

Back
Top Bottom