Cactus help

@kcan2 Your cactus is showing signs of etiolation. Etiolation is when a plant puts out long scraggly growth because it is searching for more light. It is really odd when cactus do it! Your cactus should have roundish "pads" but that long thin growth is etiolated. The new, hopefully looser soil, and more light will make it happier.

Like @Hopeful homesteader , I grow cactus outdoors in my climate. While I have a few of the tough, spiny, sun-loving ones, I mostly grow "jungle cactus" like epiphyllums, aporophyllum, and various holiday cactus. These actually like shade and I grow them with my orchids.

My Epiphyllum "Tele" has blooms that rival my Amaryllis in size. It went especially crazy this year:
IMG_0506.JPG

@kcan2 Your cactus is showing signs of etiolation. Etiolation is when a plant puts out long scraggly growth because it is searching for more light. It is really odd when cactus do it! Your cactus should have roundish "pads" but that long thin growth is etiolated. The new, hopefully looser soil, and more light will make it happier.

Like @Hopeful homesteader , I grow cactus outdoors in my climate. While I have a few of the tough, spiny, sun-loving ones, I mostly grow "jungle cactus" like epiphyllums, aporophyllum, and various holiday cactus. These actually like shade and I grow them with my orchids.

My Epiphyllum "Tele" has blooms that rival my Amaryllis in size. It went especially crazy this year:
View attachment 3127190
Wow, great information, and you have a beautiful cactus! It obviously seems happy with your care!

Yes, thank you! I actually repotted it on Monday, and put some aquarium gravel in the bottom and some on top, above the soil. I will follow all of your watering instructions and hope it stays happy:

View attachment 3104080if in ceramic or glazed pots you want to be careful not to overeater they hold moisture a little longer than clay or plastic pots .

Back
Top Bottom