Nits still there after 5 dips every 10 days

Alisaviola

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2019
I've been treating my flock for lice for 50 days now. Dipping in permethrin 10% every 10 days along with cleaning and spraying coops every 10 days. I am using 1/2 oz in a 5 gallon bucket for the dip and 11/2 oz per gallon sprayer for the coops. I've dipped them 5 times but i still see nits under their vents. Some have hatched and are clear but a few still have tons of nits. I see no lice at all. It looks like they would all be hatching at the same time. I just dont understand why some still have eggs. Could they be dead? Or do I keep dipping them all until there are no more nits. Seems like a lot of chemicals on my poor girls.

You can remove them by hand, just pick them off with your fingers (wear gloves). Sometimes that makes the process quicker.
Did you treat your coop also? It's best to remove all bedding and nesting material, spray the coop, and replace the bedding and nesting material. Lice are more likely to stay on the birds and mites will particularly infest the coop, but if you are having trouble getting rid of them, then I'd treat the coop also.
If you are mixing your product according to the label instructions, it should be effective.
Some people prefer Elector PSP (spinosad) as it's supposed to be effective with one treatment, but it is much, much more expensive.

You can remove them by hand, just pick them off with your fingers (wear gloves). Sometimes that makes the process quicker.
Did you treat your coop also? It's best to remove all bedding and nesting material, spray the coop, and replace the bedding and nesting material. Lice are more likely to stay on the birds and mites will particularly infest the coop, but if you are having trouble getting rid of them, then I'd treat the coop also.
If you are mixing your product according to the label instructions, it should be effective.
Some people prefer Elector PSP (spinosad) as it's supposed to be effective with one treatment, but it is much, much more expensive.
Yes I am treating to coops, taking all bedding out and burning it. 5 times in the last couple of months. I tried picking them off but their like cement.

Back
Top Bottom