Lice treatment for rooster

AYoung90

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
Mesa, AZ, USA
I'm mostly posting because I need reassurance that I'm doing the right thing. I have a Brahma rooster that is covered in lice & nits.... I discovered the infestation because he has been laying down a lot, & very wobbly when he's up trying to keep up with the flock, & I was checking for bumblefoot or other injury.... I didn't find ANYTHING, he seems very healthy, except for lice & nits, & i have questions.

1. A bad lice infestation could cause him to be weaker & wobbly right? Is there anything else I should be looking for health-wise that could be causing his lethargy? The lice are so bad though, my thinking is they are making him anemic. I have permethrin spray to treat the lice & put it on him today & will put it in him every few days for a few weeks.

2. I checked every other chicken I could catch, & didn't find lice on anybody else. Should I treat them all anyway?⁰

3. What kind of dirt/soil is good to give chickens for a dust bath? I live near Phoenix, AZ & we generally have very fine, dry dust which I would think is perfect for suffocating bugs.. But I've also seen peat moss? Any other ideas? (I can't use DE.)

Can you post photos of him, his legs?
Any chance you can photo the lice?
Are they lice or mites?

I'd definitely treat him with the Permethrin, go by the directions on your package. Usually for lice, you repeat in 7 days. For Mites, repeat in 5 days. Remember to treat housing as well or at least wherever he stays.

Work on hydration, get some electrolytes into him. Give him extra protein to give him a boost - beef liver, egg or fish would be good. See that he's eating well.
In addition to extra protein, get some vitamins into him. For a large fowl rooster, I'd give 1/2 tablet B-Complex daily along with 400IU Vitamin E.

Can you post photos of him, his legs?
Any chance you can photo the lice?
Are they lice or mites?

I'd definitely treat him with the Permethrin, go by the directions on your package. Usually for lice, you repeat in 7 days. For Mites, repeat in 5 days. Remember to treat housing as well or at least wherever he stays.

Work on hydration, get some electrolytes into him. Give him extra protein to give him a boost - beef liver, egg or fish would be good. See that he's eating well.
In addition to extra protein, get some vitamins into him. For a large fowl rooster, I'd give 1/2 tablet B-Complex daily along with 400IU Vitamin E.

I'm thinking these are lice nits? Theyre all over around his legs & underside. I'm pretty confident it's lice though, we've had it before, but never this bad.

I have him separated & will definitely be cleaning & treating the coop. Thank you for the advice on supplements!! I did give him eggs & will continue that, & I'll give him the vitamins & electrolytes too.

Attachments

• 20230822_111413.jpg
    20230822_111413.jpg
    568.4 KB · Views: 32
Yes, those are lice nits. I'd be inclined to try to pluck some of those feathers with the big clumps of eggs, careful not to tear the skin. If you can't pluck then rub some coconut oil on the eggs (nits) this will help loosen them up so you can remove them. Don't toss them in the run or outdoors, they could still hatch out, place them in a ziplock bag or something like that and dispose of them.

Still treat with Permethrin in 7 day intervals.

Yes, those are lice nits. I'd be inclined to try to pluck some of those feathers with the big clumps of eggs, careful not to tear the skin. If you can't pluck then rub some coconut oil on the eggs (nits) this will help loosen them up so you can remove them. Don't toss them in the run or outdoors, they could still hatch out, place them in a ziplock bag or something like that and dispose of them.

Still treat with Permethrin in 7 day intervals.

Great idea, I have lots of coconut oil. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom