NJ - Sussex County Poultry Fanciers Annual Spring Show!!

What you find for sale changes every time. Your best bet is to make contact with one of the exhibitors and either arrange to visit their place sometime or to meet up with you at the next show.

For the ticket auction, please try to bring something to donate. I collect chicken items throughout the year - cleaned up at Cracker Barrel yesterday! - and donate those. I spend anywhere from $20-60 over the months between the shows, picking up almost any chicken item I see - not too tacky, though - nice stuff. Marshall's is usually good for that. Other people bring books or toys. Of course, donate nearly new items, please. Even very small items like a mug or small plate with be added to a group of things. The big prize a lot of people wanted to win last year was an enormous stuffed animal - like from a fair - an octopus? You should have heard the moans from the kids when they didn't win. I rarely place a ticket for things that are not chicken related, but you never know. Go through your closets. Did you receive a gift that you never opened, and probably never will? That's perfect. When you go to the grocery store and they have bargain books for a dollar? Perfect. Getting rid of you hardcover novels? We'll take 'em. Clocks, kitchen towels, tools, old magazines (no pages missing), new children's clothing (with tags), craft supplies, etc. Of course, the hand baked items go over big, but remember, you'll lose your pie plate with it - get a cheap one. Cookies are bagged with a bow. If everyone donated one $10 item, or collaborated on a larger one, that would make for great prizes.

Just make sure to give them to the ladies running the auction either Friday night, or Saturday morning, early.

Coop-in is on Friday from 5-9pm. The barn is locked up for the night. I treat myself to an overnight stay, add a movie - Thor or Pirates? - and dinner with friends, and then I don't have to get up early on Saturday. I wander into the show between 9 and 10, sometimes later. Stop at Dunkin Donuts on 15 while I head up. I highly recommend the Homewood Suites in Dover. 15-20 minutes from the show, and right next to the mall complex, and a bunch of other stores (Shop Rite, WalMart) in case you ever forget something. Very convenient. There are no hotels near the fairgrounds. I can't explain this, but it's at least a 15-minute drive to any hotel, and some you don't want to drive to.

Quote:
Well, maybe not TONS, but anything that is in like new condition. I usually donate my books to my local AAUW or library. Gotta spread the "wealth," ya know?

Great seeing you yesterday, Marilyn! Did you get anything? I behaved myself and didn't buy anything, so I thought I'd be rewarded during the auction - but I didn't win anything there, either!

Quote:
There's an exhibitor list at the show table. You match the number on the cage of the birds you like, and the contact info is there, though not the way to contact them in the the show itself. You can leave a note on the cage with your cell phone, for them to call you there, or you can ask at the show table if anyone knows them. Index cards work well for that. They don't know everyone, as many exhibitors come from out of state. You just have to keep asking around.

You could try the tapes, but I wouldn't bring more than ten, say. A lot of people don't have VHS anymore.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, maybe not TONS, but anything that is in like new condition. I usually donate my books to my local AAUW or library. Gotta spread the "wealth," ya know?

Great seeing you yesterday, Marilyn! Did you get anything? I behaved myself and didn't buy anything, so I thought I'd be rewarded during the auction - but I didn't win anything there, either!

I have almost new (read once) about 8 or 10 hardcover mysteries and what not - as for what i bought, yes, I bought (from C & J) a splash silkie, a cuckoo polish, a golden neck something and a mille fleur cochin from Lynda. Sigh.....................couldn't help myself. They were just too beautiful to pass up

Back
Top Bottom