No bedding at all question

cjtdtd

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 26, 2010
Lexington KY
Is it ok to use NO bedding at all? I have 1 week old meat chicks in a HUGE cardboard box. I have four thick flannel-backed plastic tablecloths that I want to use as liners in the box. I want to change them every morning and night. I want to take the dirty one outside and spray it and sunshine clothesline dry it so it will be ready to reuse the next day. I have already went through all the puppy pads and shaved wood animal bedding that I bought in just 1 week. They are dirtying a lot worse now and I want it really clean but as inexpensively as possible. Not to mention the tablecloths are cute also.

I'd put paper towel down on top of it. Moisture reasons and for grip. They will develop leg problems if the ground surface is slippery.

I agree. you'll end up with some spraddle legs guys... even news paper is slippery.. go for the paper towels...
shavings work, but gets messy..the quicker they can go outside the better...
Melinda

are you using the plastic side up or down?

that's obviously gonna make a big difference with grip and some with absorbency as well. as the other poster mentioned, you don't want them slipping at all and wet plastic surface is going to be very slippery. and if you aren't getting anything that will absorb it's going to get pretty nasty in there depending on just how huge your space is and how many chicks there are in there. their poop gets a lot bigger as they do and they eat more which means more poop.

it's also possible that as they start hitting 2 weeks that they will start tearing holes in the plastic. those nails seem to get a lot sharper and bigger and suddenly they are scratching up a storm. i was using a paper towel to catch some of that spilled feed so it wouldnt get so mixed in with their bedding, and they would eat more of it but now (14 days old) they just shred the thing in about 45 minutes and proceed to eat it. so id say that even if you were to put paper towels on top, that's only going to get you so far for so long.

I actually put the flannel-backed side upwards because I thought the pretty side would be too slippery. The plastic side keeps the cardboard dry and the flannel-backed side gives them fuzzy texture. I take them out on my deck everyday in the baby pool but I am going to Lowes to get pvc today to build this http://www.pvcplans.com/pvc-pastured-poultry-pen.htm because I want them to enjoy the grass soon.

Check the price of those against the price of chux pads in the incontinence dept. at Walmart. I don't know which is cheaper, but it's always wise to get the best deal.

There is an incontinence DEPARTMENT at Walmart? Wow. Just wow.​

Back
Top Bottom