No carpentry skills but want to make a coop run need basic framing help

kaybee123

Songster
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
I want to build a run for my chickens but have no carpentry skills. Anyone have a how to frame a run for dummies video or step by step pics? I have quickcrete, 4x4 posts, 10 foot 2x4s and 2x6s, nails and hammer, hardware cloth and smaller chicken wire (for the top of the run), and a willing heart!!! Lol! I just am a little confused on how to get the framing started it done.

If you're doing this yourself, you might find it easier to build the individual walls flat on the ground. Make sure it's square and reinforce the corners if needed. Attach the chicken wire and hardware cloth while it's flat. Then, when you have the walls done, dig a hole and raise the corner posts and set in concrete. Make sure you level them so they're vertical. Then, the next day, it's a simple matter of attaching each wall to the uprights. You'll use a bit more lumber but it's now as intimidating and much easier to attach the wire.

Good Luck!

If you're doing this yourself, you might find it easier to build the individual walls flat on the ground. Make sure it's square and reinforce the corners if needed. Attach the chicken wire and hardware cloth while it's flat. Then, when you have the walls done, dig a hole and raise the corner posts and set in concrete. Make sure you level them so they're vertical. Then, the next day, it's a simple matter of attaching each wall to the uprights. You'll use a bit more lumber but it's now as intimidating and much easier to attach the wire.

Good Luck!
Sounds like something I should have done. Now ya tell me... =P

Youtube I have learned a bunch on there buy a swanson speed square $10 and watch a few videos on how to use it. Do a google search for rafter calculator if you are making a roof. The calculator will tell you how long to make your rafters and the speed square will show you how to lay them out. You need a level and a framing square also use screws instead of nails so when you get it wrong you can take it apart and try again.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom