No Chickens Allowed In My Area Of County?!!!

If your neighbors have horses then most likely you can have chickens.

I agree with the other posters. Go and get a copy of the city ordinances yourself or look it up online.Or maybe you could mention where(town etc) you live and someone here will already have found out the info you need.

Either way, you can always apply for a variance. There is nothing stating you cant do that. It is the right of a land/property owner to do so.

You need to go to the government body which is your specific jurisdiction (be it township, parish, or whatever it may be called in your area) and get the ordinance specific to your property. They may refer you back to the county if that is the way they do things where you live.
The city's codes won't do anything for you if you don't live within the city limits.
It is possible the people who have horses or other livestock were "grandfathered in" at the time the current ordinances were adopted.
If you find out what she told you is accurate, you may want to contact your township politicians/commissioners, and see if they will hear your case and consider changing the ordinance to allow chickens.
Good luck-I hope you find your answers soon.

WHERE EXACTLY do you live , State and County and maybe someone in here can find the ordinance ONLINE and let you know . I know this is very upsetting for you .

HECK we live within the city limits and have OVER 500,000 people and WE CAN HAVE all we want , providing they are NOT free ranged . they have to be in cages or in closed in COOP / RUN . and CLEAN .

Last edited:
I looked at the county code online. Appearantly the "nice" woman at the county is correct. If I had over 70,000 sqaure feet of land (5 acres I think?) I could over ride the law, but anything less with my zoning does not allow any form of farm animal, including pidgeons. Even if you just have one. Not even a pet rabbit! I am pretty certain that the horse house does not have 5 acres, but I could be wrong of course.

I am so confused and disappointed by this. It never accured to me that this might happen. In the back of my head I was thinking that this was a perfect property to have a couple chickens or rabbits someday and never considered that it might be illegal in the county. We also made certain to not have an HOA so that we can have some freedom.

When we bought the property we couldn't even think about having chickens or such at the time, but now that we have it cleaned up after several years of hard work and $$$ I was so excited to start thinking about getting a few chickens and gardening and maybe a couple of rabbits.

How sad. I hope that maybe someone else who has the same idea will read this thread and check their county laws first before buying a home. Chickens weren't our first concern when buying this house, but now it is a huge disappointment to me and makes me feel like my rights have been violated. We have made such a sweet little home and now I just wish we could move
sad.png

Insult to injury that I could have all the chickens I wanted inside the city limits
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
MOVE GIRL ... NOBODy tells me WHAT I CAN DO without prewarning me before I buy property . YOU SHOULD have been told that your county and property has strick restrictions ..... I would either fight this , OR MOVE

Last edited:
1 acre = 43,560 square feet

70000 ft² = 1.60697 acre

How much land DO you have? and WHERE?????

Last edited:
Quote:
Your laws sound like what the man from the city informed me the city laws were in town. He was very nice and he was shocked that I could not have chickens where I live in the county.

I will post my general location in case there is anyone who might be able to help or can offer suggestions. We are located in Yavapai county. (Oops, forgot to say that is in AZ) Our zoning is R1L. We have 22,455 S.F. lot.

The man that I spoke to from the city did make an interesting comment. When I told him that I could not have any farm animals whatsoever in my zoning in the county, he said yes, but chickens are poultry...appearantly the city defines poultry differently than other farm animals?

I really appreciate everyones responses. This really is a nice group. Thanks.

Last edited:
Quote:
Poultry is raised to kill and eat. If you just want the birds to watch, play with and take care of, technically they're pets. It's just a bonus they give you eggs... that's not WHY you raise them... if anyone asks...
lol.png

GO TO THE MUNICIPAL BUILDING AND GET A COPY ON PAPER! If they don't have it in PRINT, then it's legal to own chickens...

Back
Top Bottom