No Chickens Allowed In My Area Of County?!!!

This is interesting about the chicken law being in print. I will try to find out if this anti chicken hating law is in print. With my luck it probably is. But Thanks, I'll check.

I noticed a post about the city chicken laws in Portland being changed. I will see if I can locate and contact the people responsible for getting those laws changed to see if they can offer any suggestions or support.

Thanks again everyone.

Chicken haters suck!
sad.png

You have to see the Code yourself.. in print. Don't take anyone's word for it.

IF it's true that you cannot have any chickens where you live, start to talk to people (neighbors, friends, relatives) that live in your area and get support. Then, go to someone nice at the County and find out how to get a variance. If you can afford a lawyer or have a friend who is a lawyer it would help to get them involved. If you are absolutely certain you cannot get a variance then I'm so sorry for you.

Before we bought our property we made sure there were no covenants, restrictions, etc. You are right... people need to check those things before putting the money down.

Best wishes to you in this difficult situation.

You bought the land, you own it and you pay taxes. Do as you darn well please with it. That is your right.

If the ordinance is right and you cant have chickens...change the law.

I agree with rooster0209. Here is a link for some contacts for people who changed the law in Madison, Wisconsin, the capital of our state. They have been promoting and changing people's minds all over the place ever since.

http://madcitychickens.com/index.html

here is a blog for some prominent people of the Mad City Chickens group. http://tarazod.com/blog/

Hopefully
this will help get you some more contacts. Definitely contact people in person for support. These people know what they are doing politically, way better than I do.
Good Luck!
fl.gif

Thank you, thank you risurocket for that contact information! I will definately contact these people and see what advice they can offer.

My situation seems so illogical, that anywhere in the city I could have unlimited chickens, but where I am in the county I can not have a single chicken.

Thank you everyone for your support. I really appreciate it. I've not been very fortunate. I hope I have it in me to fight this and win.

GRIEF! I hope you can work it out....

..we live in a small VERY rural area, on the OUTSKIRTS of town..and can't have farm animals either, but after a few months here, I hear hogs two houses down, chickens three houses the other way...so I joined in on the "chicken smuggling"....they can't fine us all...we're too small and it's an ELECTION YEAR!!!!!
smile.png
Thank God for small favors....

..but ditto like the others, I'd be checking it out!

It looks like this is the website for the county.
http://www.co.yavapai.az.us/default.aspx

This appears to be the current zoning ordinance.
http://www.co.yavapai.az.us/uploadedFiles/Ordinances/zoningordinance.pdf

I'm not an expert at reading these, but page 68 of the ordinance seems to say that most animals (including chickens and rabbits) are ok as long as they are for 4H or some club such as FFA and you have proof of participation. Maybe you could check into this aspect of it?

ANIMAL HUSBANDRY Activities or Projects, i.e., Future Farmers of America, 4-H, or any
agricultural or large livestock activity/project conducted primarily for educational purposes or
school credits, are permitted in any Zoning District. The following criteria shall be met:
1. Active membership must be maintained and verification of such may be required upon
request.
2. The keeping of all animals shall be subject to the regulations of the Yavapai County
Environmental Unit and the Health Department.
3. A sign designating a 4-H member is in residence must be posted on the property at all
times any such project or activity is in progress.
Under the 4-H exemption, the setback requirements and number of animals allowed per acre do
not apply for animals utilized in 4-H projects, with the exception of equine and breeding
projects.

I hope you're able to work something out!!!

Karla​

Back
Top Bottom