No Chickens Yet!!

HVernier84

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 25, 2013
Wake Forest, NC
Hello everyone, my name is Heather! I am 29 and recently married 6 months ago. My hubby and I purchased our first home 3 months ago in Wake Forest, NC and even though I have never had chickens, one of the stipulations when we were house hunting was that it HAD to be in an area where chickens were allowed, and with a yard big enough for them to enjoy.

I don't really know how I got this chicken notion in my head since I have never had chickens! My only experience with them was when I was about 10 or 11 at the farm where I rode my horse. I used to sit in front of the chicken run tossing grass in for them to eat. I always thought they were interesting animals lol. That is the extent of my chicken experience and I would say my knowledge of them is minimal at best.

My main goal of having chickens is as a compliment to our vegetable garden that we will be starting in the spring. I have heard tell that they are great at eating the backyard pests and their poop is awesome for composting and fertilizer. The fact that they are adorable and birth food for us to eat is an added bonus!

Right now I am just doing a LOT of research and we are planning to build our coop in the coming months before we get our chicks around March. We do live in an area with lots of wildlife so I am trying to find out everything I can about how to make this coop iron-clad so no predators will have them for lunch! I am also researching everything I can about their behavior, nutritional needs, and looking into which breeds will be the best match for us. I think we will start with three hens and see how it goes.

All my friends think I have lost my mind. I feel a little alone in this venture (the hubby is just going along with the idea, but is not that enthused about it) so I joined this message board so hopefully I can chat with some experienced like-minded folks! See ya around! :)

Hello everyone, my name is Heather! I am 29 and recently married 6 months ago. My hubby and I purchased our first home 3 months ago in Wake Forest, NC and even though I have never had chickens, one of the stipulations when we were house hunting was that it HAD to be in an area where chickens were allowed, and with a yard big enough for them to enjoy.

I don't really know how I got this chicken notion in my head since I have never had chickens! My only experience with them was when I was about 10 or 11 at the farm where I rode my horse. I used to sit in front of the chicken run tossing grass in for them to eat. I always thought they were interesting animals lol. That is the extent of my chicken experience and I would say my knowledge of them is minimal at best.

My main goal of having chickens is as a compliment to our vegetable garden that we will be starting in the spring. I have heard tell that they are great at eating the backyard pests and their poop is awesome for composting and fertilizer. The fact that they are adorable and birth food for us to eat is an added bonus!

Right now I am just doing a LOT of research and we are planning to build our coop in the coming months before we get our chicks around March. We do live in an area with lots of wildlife so I am trying to find out everything I can about how to make this coop iron-clad so no predators will have them for lunch! I am also researching everything I can about their behavior, nutritional needs, and looking into which breeds will be the best match for us. I think we will start with three hens and see how it goes.

All my friends think I have lost my mind. I feel a little alone in this venture (the hubby is just going along with the idea, but is not that enthused about it) so I joined this message board so hopefully I can chat with some experienced like-minded folks! See ya around! :)
welcome to BYC; Just make it big enough to walk into too clean, and dig 2 to 3 feet down and pest proof it under your coop and you will be fine. and research what kind of chickens you like to raise. GOOD LUCK! FROM SAN DIEGO

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Have a browse through the Learning Center. There are articles on raising chicks, gardening with and around chickens, composting with chickens, flock maintenance and chicken health, predators and pests and how to protect your flock and much more. To help you choose a breed (or breeds) browse through the Breeds and the Coops section for designs and plans for your chicken coop. If you have time between all the chicken prepping, pop in at our sister site, www.TheEasyGarden.com for some gardening chat. Enjoy the site!

Congratulations on your marriage! Be sure to make your coop big enough so your husband can get in there and help with the flock too!

Remember that there is a fine line between chicken hobbyist and crazy chicken person. I crossed it before I'd even finished filling my shopping cart at the hatchery. Welcome to BYC. Best of luck.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

While chickens and gardens compliment each other well, if you expect to have the garden thrive you should plan on fencing the chickens out - they will decimate a vegetable garden if allowed to roam in it.

welcome-byc.gif
if looking at egg laying breeds. id say give the red sex links a go. theyre egg laying machines and also have the sweetest personalities, theyre great for beginners! theyre a brown egg layer

welcome-byc.gif
give your hubby a chance. A lot of husbands feel differently once they see little chicks running around, and then chickens become THEIR project.

Back
Top Bottom