1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No chickens yet

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by clueless chic, Feb 27, 2014.

1. clueless chic

clueless chic Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2014
    NE Arkansas
    Hi! We are totally new to this whole chicken thing. We have been talking about getting some chickens (for eggs) for a while and now that it is getting near spring we are on the hunt. My hubby's co worker has suggested Golden (Comet) Buffs..which he has. And now we have a friend that has offered to get us some Araucana chicks...which is what she has. I was just wondering what y'alls thoughts on them were. I haven't heard too much about them on here. Thanks in advance for any suggestion, advice, ect.!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm on the fence about what to tell you. I grew up with such adages as "don't look a gift chicken in the mouth," and "Beware of neighbors bearing chickens," often they turn out to be roosters.[​IMG]

3. clueless chic

Feb 27, 2014
    NE Arkansas
    I don't know if this makes any difference but we live in AR and have three dogs (English Mastiff, German Shepard, and a Lab) that roam free during the day on our property.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] from Washington state glad you joined us!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. clueless chic

Feb 27, 2014
    NE Arkansas
    Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully soon we will have some chicks and we can get started. I never imagined there were so many choices involved with getting chickens. :)

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Either breed mentioned would be fine. You'll probably need to work with the dogs so that they know the chickens are not squeaky toys,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by