No chickens yet

clueless chic

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
NE Arkansas
Hi! We are totally new to this whole chicken thing. We have been talking about getting some chickens (for eggs) for a while and now that it is getting near spring we are on the hunt. My hubby's co worker has suggested Golden (Comet) Buffs..which he has. And now we have a friend that has offered to get us some Araucana chicks...which is what she has. I was just wondering what y'alls thoughts on them were. I haven't heard too much about them on here. Thanks in advance for any suggestion, advice, ect.!

I'm on the fence about what to tell you. I grew up with such adages as "don't look a gift chicken in the mouth," and "Beware of neighbors bearing chickens," often they turn out to be roosters.
hu.gif

I don't know if this makes any difference but we live in AR and have three dogs (English Mastiff, German Shepard, and a Lab) that roam free during the day on our property.

Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully soon we will have some chicks and we can get started. I never imagined there were so many choices involved with getting chickens. :)

Welcome to BYC. Either breed mentioned would be fine. You'll probably need to work with the dogs so that they know the chickens are not squeaky toys,

Back
Top Bottom