No chicks hatched ☹️

hayls1812

Chirping
Mar 28, 2017
55F5D0A3-1503-4742-838F-6E54F7AD80AF.jpeg FC1AA146-41D1-465B-9D35-B9F7850BF864.jpeg So.. I have a broody Buff Orpington, she very committed and would sit on the eggs 24/7 if I didn’t pull her off to eat, drink, poop etc. I candled at day 4, leaving 7 eggs under her, then candles around day 10/11 and left 5 eggs under her. At day 18 we stopped going in and moving her to eat.. day 21 and nothing, candles on day 22 and 4 fully grown chicks are in the shell but no pips. She kept kicking one out so I got rid of that one. Water candled today day 24 and no movement sadly. I have opened the eggs and 3 out of 4 we’re fully formed. 1 was shrink wrapped, a bantam egg. And 2 were fully grown but not shrink wrapped. I don’t understand why they all died? I am going to put 7 eggs under her now and start again, hopefully she will stay broody to try again.
The hen is 3 years old and I wonder if she didn’t turn them often enough? Or if they got too hot with the hot weather? Should I have sprayed them? Or done anything more? Please help....

Last edited:
View attachment 1465458 View attachment 1465457 So.. I have a broody Buff Orpington, she very committed and would sit on the eggs 24/7 if I didn’t pull her off to eat, drink, poop etc. I candled at day 4, leaving 7 eggs under her, then candles around day 10/11 and left 5 eggs under her. At day 18 we stopped going in and moving her to eat.. day 21 and nothing, candles on day 22 and 4 fully grown chicks are in the shell but no pips. She kept kicking one out so I got rid of that one. Water candled today day 24 and no movement sadly. I have opened the eggs and 3 out of 4 we’re fully formed. 1 was shrink wrapped, a bantam egg. And 2 were fully grown but not shrink wrapped. I don’t understand why they all died? I am going to put 7 eggs u see her now and start again, hopefully she will stay broody to try again.
The hen is 3 years old and I wonder if she didn’t turn them often enough? Or if they got too hot with the hot weather? Should I have sprayed them? Or done anything more? Please help....
why dont try broody by an incubator?

There could be several reasons for a failed hatch like that, and yes, weather can be a big factor too. Don't beat yourself up over it. Hopefully, when the weather gets colder, she will hatch you out a nice batch of chicks.

There could be several reasons for a failed hatch like that, and yes, weather can be a big factor too. Don't beat yourself up over it. Hopefully, when the weather gets colder, she will hatch you out a nice batch of chicks.
Aww do you think so? I hope so! I thought it was supposed to be more reliable under a broody than incubator. Plus as I have a broody hen and fertile eggs it seems like the ideal situation then momma hen can rear them too

I just would buy some small incubator for the incubating the eggs. I hope i wrote it correct ))
Actually, Unless you really want to... I woulden't advise wasting money in an incubator when you have broodies. I think you just got bad luck this time , A broody is probably a way easier option for rasing chicks. And despite your situatuon, Broodies have a higher hatch rate than incubators. And even if everything goes well with the incubator, Your going to have to hand raise your chicks, Feed them every couple hours, Replace their water all the time and etc.

Overall its just much more efficient to use a broody, And also the hen will be happy she got chicks lol.

Even hatching under a broody does not always guarantee a great hatch rate. Things can go wrong, even when using a good broody. Plenty of people on here will tell you that they've got broodies that don't stay dedicated, and will let the eggs get cold. Sometimes if it's young, and the first time hatching, a broody will hatch out the chicks, then kill them. Since your hen was dedicated, it sounds more like heat, and humidity played a big role in the eggs not hatching. Yes, that happens too. When the weather gets cooler, she may hatch out a nice batch of chicks for you, and be a great mama.

So.. broody hen has decided enough is enough!! She’s out of the game, we’re 12 days in and have 4 fertile eggs with growing embryos and I’ve borrowed an incubator so fingers crossed we still could have some chicks

Back
Top Bottom