No clue what is wrong

Notafarmgirl

Hatching
May 24, 2017
My son volunteered us to care for his classroom's chicks over the weekend.

There was chick who had a leg problem. I put him in a separate little box so he didn't get picked on by the others. I decided to keep the baby for the week to see if I could get him walking. So I did a google search as to what it might be: slipped tendon? splayed leg?

Here's what I've done so far. Immediately changed the bottom of the cardboard box to paper towels instead of newspaper. I felt around for a slipped tendon and after bending his leg back (like he was stretching) I wrapped it while it was straight. That leg also had curled toes and the other toes were starting to curl too. So I made little shoes from medical tape.

I made him a little chick chair and had him in there for about a day. Took him out unwrapped him and at first there was progress but he still was sitting back on his hocks and leaning towards the good leg.

Then last night I decided to try the hobble with his shoes again. This morning I found him on his back. I try to encourage him to walk but he doesn't want to. I'm going to get him some of the Poly-vi-sol without iron I have seen mentioned, along with some medicated chick feed and better bedding so he isn't destroying his hocks.

Is there any hope for this little fellow? He only hatched last week.

Ok, I have a question for all of you! I had taken home a 2 day old chick from my daughters class, who hatched chicks. I noticed immediately one had a splayed leg. Got her home, I used some bandage that sticks to itself (found it in the horse section at TSC) and bandaged her legs together about maybe and inch or inch and 1/2 apart. I have changed the bandage a couple times, it got very dirty as you can imagine. My question is, she still seems very uncoordinated, and is still not putting a whole lot of pressure on that leg. And her knee joint on that leg seems to be very messed up. Is that normal? And how long does it usually take to start to see some improvements? I've done some research, not a whole lot of information pertaining to how long it takes to correct. Just on how to fix it. And what little info I do find, it says it can fix within a few days. We are going on a week and 3 days. Just getting a little worried. She still get up and drinks and eats, but usually stumbles, and she seems to rest a lot more than the others, I assume because it must take a lot out of her. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated. My daughter is really hoping that this little girl will make it! ❤️

sounds like splayed leg watch this video you need to do this immediately or it could die.dip its beak in water and food make sure its getting some.aso make sure the water dish is the small waterier not the big one i have had one drowned before.good idea keepin it in a separate box with a heatlamp.keep me updated and let me know if you have any questions.make sure you watch the vidio below it teaches you how to fix it.also can you send me a picture of the chick i want to make sure its splayed leg.
SilPolChik6DHobbled.JPEG

My son volunteered us to care for his classroom's chicks over the weekend.

There was chick who had a leg problem. I put him in a separate little box so he didn't get picked on by the others. I decided to keep the baby for the week to see if I could get him walking. So I did a google search as to what it might be: slipped tendon? splayed leg?

Here's what I've done so far. Immediately changed the bottom of the cardboard box to paper towels instead of newspaper. I felt around for a slipped tendon and after bending his leg back (like he was stretching) I wrapped it while it was straight. That leg also had curled toes and the other toes were starting to curl too. So I made little shoes from medical tape.

I made him a little chick chair and had him in there for about a day. Took him out unwrapped him and at first there was progress but he still was sitting back on his hocks and leaning towards the good leg.

Then last night I decided to try the hobble with his shoes again. This morning I found him on his back. I try to encourage him to walk but he doesn't want to. I'm going to get him some of the Poly-vi-sol without iron I have seen mentioned, along with some medicated chick feed and better bedding so he isn't destroying his hocks.

Is there any hope for this little fellow? He only hatched last week.

do not give a chick a water this big i made this mistake and it drowned.get the smaller version.
23696PL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom