No clue what my ladies are

Liltritter

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Apple Valley, Ca
I bought silkies, and americanas and got this group. I've decided when buying from this feed store not to ask for any specific breed or sex.......... of 18 Chickens, at 99% hens, we got 5 roos LOL.... I'm back to raising chicks again as they give you replacements for roos......... i know I have 4 RIR other two are..... the topic of a future post :)

Last edited:
I bought silkies, and americanas and got this group. I've decided when buying from this feed store not to ask for any specific breed or sex.......... of 18 Chickens, at 99% hens, we got 5 roos LOL.... I'm back to raising chicks again as they give you replacements for roos......... i know I have 4 RIR other two are..... the topic of a future post :)

In this picture, I see two Sultans (the white birds), three Easter Eggers (one rooster, two hens--the brown one in the upper right, the brownish-orange bird in the lower middle, and the brownish bird in the far back), a Delaware (I think, as I can't see the head--its the one on the far left), and lastly, a Black Australorp (black bird).
I'm sure that some of the birds in this picture were also shown in the previous picture. However, here are the breeds that I see: one Rhode Island Red (the reddish bird on the upper left), two Easter Eggers (the one next to the piece of wood and the one next to her ducking so that you can't see the head), two Sultans (the white ones with feathered legs/crests), one Barred Rock (the black and white one in the lower middle), a Silver-Laced Wyandotte (the black and white one on the far right with its head out of the picture), and a Black Australorp (the black bird).
This is a Golden-Laced Polish.

TYTYTYTYTYTYTYTYTY :)

I love my ladies no matter what they are, but knowing is very cool. Some just started laying , no clue who, tiny (bout the sized of a half dollar tad smaller) brown eggs.

In this photo, this is what I see: Two White Sultan roosters (the white crested birds), three Easter Eggers (the two brown hens and the colorful rooster), one Black Australorp (the black bird near the bottom of the photo), and, though I can't clearly tell because its head is hidden, one Delaware or Light-Sussex pullet (the white black-tailed bird behind the post).
In this photo, this is what I see: Two White Sultan cockerels (the two white crested birds), one Barred Plymouth Rock (the barred bird in the center, probably a pullet), two Easter Egger pullets (the brown birds towards the back), one Rhode Island Red pullet (the red bird walking away), one Black Australorp pullet (the black bird in the center), and one Silver-Laced Wyandotte (the laced bird to the right whose head is cut off--looks like it could be a pullet, but can't tell without seeing the head). I can't tell the gender or breed of the white bird to the right, as I can't see the whole body or the facial features.
Golden-Laced Polish. Don't know for sure whether it is a pullet or a cockerel; a close-up photo of the head would help.
Nice flock! Beautiful birds.

Best I could get of her? I hope :) The sultan is the only rooster we kept cause I thought she was a girl. She crowed at me while I was trying to get pictures...... make that 6/18 roosters LOL

My rooster replacements are below, don't suppose you can tell me what the light and dark ones mixed in with my reds are (if they are RIR ) or if they are girls or boys yet?

Oh and what are the chances that any of my ladies will be broody? Is there a good breed to have if I would like a broody lady?

Last edited:
My rooster replacements are below, don't suppose you can tell me what the light and dark ones mixed in with my reds are (if they are RIR ) or if they are girls or boys yet?

I think that the dark brown chick in this photo could be an Easter Egger, as that is a typical color pattern for an EE and the legs are slate colored. The red chicks are either Rhode Island Reds, Red Sex-links, or New Hampshire Reds; you won't really know for sure until they mature. At least for now, they all appear to be pullets.
Once again, the red chicks are some sort of red chicken breed/hybrid. The whitish chick is probably is either a Light Sussex, Delaware, or possibly a Columbian Wyandotte. The first two breeds I mentioned would have single combs, and the Wyandotte would have a rose comb; I can't tell the comb type from this photo. No obvious roosters here, but I would still post updated photos in 2-3 weeks, as then roosters should be obvious.

Oh and what are the chances that any of my ladies will be broody? Is there a good breed to have if I would like a broody lady?

I think your Polish is a pullet, as that comb isn't particularly red/prominent, but I could be wrong. Your Australorp and Easter Eggers might go broody at some point in their life, though those breeds aren't the most reliable. If you really want a broody hen, get a Silkie, an Old English Game hen, or another game bird hen. Those particular breeds seem to almost be programmed to hatch chicks, at least that I've heard.
smile.png

I think that your Polish is a pullet. The crest feathers look a little pointy, but the comb isn't that red. Pretty bird!

Best I could get of her? I hope :) The sultan is the only rooster we kept cause I thought she was a girl. She crowed at me while I was trying to get pictures...... make that 6/18 roosters LOL

Your "red" birds look like Rhode Island Reds, though at this age, you can't really be sure of the exact breed (Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire Reds, and Production Reds look almost the same). However, Rhode Island Reds are pretty common, so I think that they are Rhode Island Reds. The dark brownish-grey bird on the far right is an Easter Egger, and looks pullet. Rooster would have a different color pattern. So far, none of your red birds screams rooster at me, as the combs are small and pale. Still, its a little young to tell for sure--hopefully they are pullets!
Your white and black bird in this photo might be a Delaware, Columbian Wyandotte, or an Easter Egger. What type of comb does it have, and does it have feathers on its legs? If it has a pea comb, "it" is probably an Easter Egger, and if there are feathered legs, you have a Light Brahma. I don't see any rooster traits yet, so I think that it is a pullet (but, as I said before, this is really a guess, as young birds are difficult to sex for sure).

The breeds that you appear to have (Australorps, Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers, Wyandottes, and Sultans) aren't the most broody of breeds. If any of them was to go broody, I'd guess that it would be the Wyandotte or the Australorp. If you really want a broody breed, get Silkies! They are extremely broody. Cochins are another breed that tend to go broody. Gamy breeds like Old English Game often go broody as well.

Hope I've helped!

Last edited:
One last question and I will stop driving you all nuts with questions :)

The white one with the lil black on the tail Delaware ..... I collected one egg this morning, and shes been digging through all the wood chips like shes looking for it....... Hours now........... Should I have left her the egg or maybe collected it towards ducks as to not upset her?

One last question and I will stop driving you all nuts with questions :)

The white one with the lil black on the tail Delaware ..... I collected one egg this morning, and shes been digging through all the wood chips like shes looking for it....... Hours now........... Should I have left her the egg or maybe collected it towards ducks as to not upset her?

I don't think your hen is looking for the egg--chickens just naturally like scratching around in shavings, dirt, etc. Even if she was upset, she and the rest of your chickens will soon get used to you "stealing " their eggs.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom