NO clue what they are, but they just hatched today 10/2!!!

Ohmygosh! they hatched! ALL of them!
wee.gif
wee.gif

We had a football game to go to and just got back. I checked in to see if egg 3 made any progress zipping and wow all four were hatched and sitting there fluffing out!

Unfortunately, i missed most of the fun of the hatch
hit.gif
BUT, i have four little fuzz butts that look to be healthy. THree are black, one looks buff but they are still drying to so I can't tell for sure.

Soon as I get kids in bed I'll post some more pics!

here are some pics of egg 3 hatching.
36751a47.jpg

cff7bb97.jpg

88d6d391.jpg

Here's a few of them all, taken just a couple minutes ago. they are still drying off. One is almost all black, two are black with white undersides and one is a buff or maybe yellow color.
f5af3131.jpg

f76ec55e.jpg

6fc21b55.jpg

and then...the aftermath AND cleanup. I just took out the egg carton and now it's all clean in there for them. a couple really tiny pieces of shell but WAY cleaner than if I just put them on their sides.
5762afe5.jpg

Once they all fluff out, I'll take some more pics.

We need pictures of the fluffy babies. And way to go on the egg carton hatch I will have to try it the next time we hatch chicks.
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

P.S. I must have been posting at the same time as you were. The babies are just beautiful. So I will wait patiently for the fluffy pictures.

Last edited:
Whoa! Cuteness! And what awesome pictures.

And HEY, you drew in the air cell before lockdown! Awesome! Did you notice how they pipped in relation to it? It looks like some of yours started on the right side of the air cell instead of the left where all of mine so far had started. I wonder if there's a genetic component there--like handedness--maybe mine are all lefties, and you've got a mixed batch? Did they all seem to pip close to the edge of the air cell? It looks like they all zipped right along the edge, anyway... I'm dying to hear the outcome in regards to the air cell.
big_smile.png

And thanks for sharing those terrific pictures. I love hatching pics!

curiosity - that is just too funny, i saw the idea from one of YOUR posts! LOL
gig.gif
thanks, pics are from my phone and the stupid glare was just killing me! my real camera was in the van and I've been too lazy to bring it in. plus it's way easier/quicker to upload on my phone.

yes, all but one pipped just above the air cell, only egg three was off. It pipped around the back and below--so low I was a bit worried in the beginning). The other three pipped and zipped almost exactly along the air cell line just slightly below it, I think you can still see the pencil line in one of the pics. I'm not sure what you mean by left or right side of the air cell, do you mean the area that was lower down? if so, yes all but the one i mentioned pipped on that side.

I did notice I was a lot less freaked out this time with both the air cell thing and the egg carton. I usually fret wondering if they've pipped to high or low or ????
barnie.gif
and then I fret while they zip b/c they seem to struggle around the shell so much. I'm thinking I may do this from now on. I candle before I lockdown anyway and the carton actually looked like it helped them to zip along better. not to mention, the bator will be SOOOO much easier to clean up now.

I have duck eggs that will hatch next Friday and then a week off then BCM eggs set to hatch the 21st. I also just put in another 27 in yesterday and I there are still more on the way. Plus we are hitting a swap next Saturday and I'm sure I'll find something i just can't live without, plus it's DS bday and I promised him a gift and he loves to hatch eggs with me!
love.gif
yes, I have officially LOST IT!
hide.gif
l:au Actually, we had a pretty pitiful hatch last round with the BCM eggs, so this is round 2. I'll be posting about those too.

i saw the idea from one of YOUR posts

Aha! I hoped that was the case--maybe it's the start of a trend--I hope so! I love being responsible for stuff, especially when it's good stuff that I don't actually have to help with.
lau.gif

I guess it's confusing to talk about left and right. When you drew the air cells, did you notice it sort of "dips" on one side? I think of that as the "front" of the egg, and the "left" and "right" sides of the air cell are if you're looking at the "front" of the egg. Mine all pipped about halfway up the air cell, more or less on the "left" side:

37992_dsc_0231.jpg

They then all zipped from left to right. Did you notice if yours zipped any particular direction, or was it sort of random? Another way to think of it would be clockwise & counter-clockwise. Mine all zipped counter-clockwise.

Mine are all from the same drake, and two unrelated hens--so I'm wondering if location of pip and direction of zip might be inherited.

I love this stuff!
lol.png
I hope you will continue to trace the air cell. I think it's kind of cool to see where it is anyway, and we could learn so much from it.
big_smile.png
And good luck with the rest of your hatches--you are hatching way more than I am. I'm jealous!
cool.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been avidly watching your posting and your babies are so cute. Can we have follow up as they grow, to see who they grow up to be!

wee.gif

curiosity - ah-ha! I get you now. yes, alll but the one pipped right at the area where it's larger and then the two I did see zipping were zipping counter clockwise. I only saw the pip of eggs 1 & 2, but it looks like they went counterclockwise too. i'm so glad you phrased it that way, made PERFECT sense to me. like one of those light bulb moments!

ccoomber - thanks! Yes, I'll probably put a post up in the baby chick section to see if anyone has any guesses. It looks almost like there might be some blue coloring in a couple of them but it's still early to tell (esp from the pics on the camera phone).

here are a couple pics I took this morning. they are dry but still kinda sticky from the hatch.

this first one has a greenish/gray colored legs and is a bit taller than the others.
9ea4a2f4.jpg

here is another dark one, can't really say this one is black maybe more of a dark reddish brown?
a92f1a9d.jpg

this one has a lot of white in it on it's chest area especially.
b72c41a5.jpg

and lastly, the buff colored one.
b88ab78c.jpg

I'll try to take out the better camera and take some better pics later today.

Back
Top Bottom