NO clue what they are, but they just hatched today 10/2!!!

yuckyuck.gif
HAHA, curiositycat is curious!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

ok i'm done now...sure, I'll post here too. I'm in contact with the breeder too so she had some ideas. she was thinking the black ones coule be NJG or javas and BA (which would thrill me!!). the buff could be BO, NHR, SF or ??? dad to that one is prob NHR or maybe an Americana roo, if any end up have tufts. guess we'll see.

if anyone else reading has any ideas I'm all ears!! First post shows possible combo's.

yuckyuck.gif

Yes, well my name is no mistake. My husband and friends are constantly amazed at the things I'm curious about. Dh has learned not to look too closely over my shoulder when I'm sitting at the computer, because you never know what I might be researching next! I just hope my curiosity doesn't lead where it took the proverbial cat...

seriously, OMG, we must be long lost twins!
hugs.gif
I'm the same way! My DH is a scientist and just laughs at most of my crazy thoughts but does come in handy at times! Like when I'm freaking about the temperature b/c three the digi ones I have have three different temps and I can't read the stupid old school mercury one!
barnie.gif

I keep trying to convince him to sneak out one of his fancy FDA quality incubators he uses for meds but no luck as of yet! LOL

oh and about that cat...they have nine lives right? you're good to go for a bit!
lau.gif

I want to do the egg carton hatching and although I posted once before asking questions I have one more, I don't have an automatic turner so how can I do egg carton hatching. I was thinking I would prop up one side and than switch. When I tried for the first time I am unsure the movement from one side to the next will be enough to replacing turning the eggs like I usually do (the carton is around a 45 degree angle but the eggs don't seem to tip quite that much inside the carton) and second when I prop them up in my bator the ones in the middle are a lot closer to where the heat is pushed into the bator by the fan. I am worried they will get to hot. The bator is small so there is not anyway for me to move them to the side... I thought about propping up the side of the whole incubator but it spills water......

Quote:
Aha! I hoped that was the case--maybe it's the start of a trend--I hope so! I love being responsible for stuff, especially when it's good stuff that I don't actually have to help with.
lau.gif

I guess it's confusing to talk about left and right. When you drew the air cells, did you notice it sort of "dips" on one side? I think of that as the "front" of the egg, and the "left" and "right" sides of the air cell are if you're looking at the "front" of the egg. Mine all pipped about halfway up the air cell, more or less on the "left" side:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/37992_dsc_0231.jpg

They then all zipped from left to right. Did you notice if yours zipped any particular direction, or was it sort of random? Another way to think of it would be clockwise & counter-clockwise. Mine all zipped counter-clockwise.

Mine are all from the same drake, and two unrelated hens--so I'm wondering if location of pip and direction of zip might be inherited.

I love this stuff!
lol.png
I hope you will continue to trace the air cell. I think it's kind of cool to see where it is anyway, and we could learn so much from it.
big_smile.png
And good luck with the rest of your hatches--you are hatching way more than I am. I'm jealous!
cool.png

Air cell lines?!!! I thought they were like those putting lines like they have on the golf channel so we know where the golfers are supposed to put.
gig.gif
They look like projected zip lines! I'm trying it myself next time whether that's the intended purpose or not. (I'm probably the only BYCer who even watches golf on TV -- and I don't even play.
hide.gif
)

Quote:
Aha! I hoped that was the case--maybe it's the start of a trend--I hope so! I love being responsible for stuff, especially when it's good stuff that I don't actually have to help with.
lau.gif

I guess it's confusing to talk about left and right. When you drew the air cells, did you notice it sort of "dips" on one side? I think of that as the "front" of the egg, and the "left" and "right" sides of the air cell are if you're looking at the "front" of the egg. Mine all pipped about halfway up the air cell, more or less on the "left" side:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/37992_dsc_0231.jpg

They then all zipped from left to right. Did you notice if yours zipped any particular direction, or was it sort of random? Another way to think of it would be clockwise & counter-clockwise. Mine all zipped counter-clockwise.

Mine are all from the same drake, and two unrelated hens--so I'm wondering if location of pip and direction of zip might be inherited.

I love this stuff!
lol.png
I hope you will continue to trace the air cell. I think it's kind of cool to see where it is anyway, and we could learn so much from it.
big_smile.png
And good luck with the rest of your hatches--you are hatching way more than I am. I'm jealous!
cool.png

Air cell lines?!!! I thought they were like those putting lines like they have on the golf channel so we know where the golfers are supposed to put.
gig.gif
They look like projected zip lines! I'm trying it myself next time whether that's the intended purpose or not. (I'm probably the only BYCer who even watches golf on TV -- and I don't even play.
hide.gif
)

L0rraine - yes! that is EXACTLY what I'm doing. I've found it very useful for predicting where they will pip. YOu are in good company here b/c I am hooked and use it just about every hatch. I've had a couple that have pipped the wrong end but most all have pipped almost exactly where I expected based on the line. Many times they pip where the air cell dips slightly along the line.

some additional pics of the lines with the chicks zipping right along...
31148_dsc_0578.jpg

31148_img_0850.jpg

31148_img_0849.jpg

31148_cottage_hatch_002.jpg

31148_cottage_hatch_001.jpg

I have another group of eggs setting now, due May 31-June 1. I have a post here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=345597 I'll be doing another weight and candle today. These will also get the 'air cell lines' when they are set to hatch. I really should enhance it and trace the lines on each candling, giving me yet another piece of data to monitor the egg development.

Oh and although I am not a regular viewer of golf on TV (both DH and I do play) I know exactly what you are talking about!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom