No Crow Rooster collar

Pics
I couldn't get any sound on the video, though you rooster seems smaller than mine. you can clearly see the collar on yours. our boy is getting pretty big-you can't see it under all his feathers. I've not tightened it since my last post, not taking the chance it's as tight as we can get it w/o harming him. he still crows. To me it's loud in my yard, but my surrounding neighbors are fine and we are in the "city" -they love it. all agree if anyone complains we will all act stupid because you can hear other roosters from a distance. my one neighbor from GA said that it's not loud at all-he said w/o that collar it would be much louder as he has grown up on a farm and is familiar. I'm fortunate that he doesn't start that early and even when he does it sometimes at 6am (it's still dark)-it's only a half a dozen times and he is done until it's light and I'm out there. like he is flirting. From time to time if we walk out in the day he will do it-he is so funny. I had the same issue with my husband Rubberchicken 71. he was against it very much. I ordered it behind his back and put it on our boy when he was not home. It was about 15 minutes of silence when he saw what I did-but he then understood I was doing everything I could to humanely make this work. it took some time but he is now on my side and we both love our beautiful boy.
it's been since mid July and so far, no problems from anyone. Staying positive. We are waiting for eggs, should be any day now!! then it's really going to get loud. haha and I know our neighbors are lickin their lips and waiting too! Good luck to everyone,

I use just a kids sock or Velcro collar for my roosters (pretty close to the no crow). I love it. I've always liked my roosters and their crows more then hens but since I moved into a town, one that doesn't allow chickens to begin with, I have to be careful of noise. I have three roos, they do normal sounds but barely crow if at all. One I think I have to adjust but he is just audible. The second sounds like a dove if he tries(once every few days), and the third doesn't even try crowing. Definitely worth trying if you can't have them crowing their wonderful songs.
How do you size the kids sock? Where do you buy a Velcro collar? I just came across this and if I can easily make my own I'd rather go that route, its cheaper and no worries on getting the wrong size and shipping back etc.

We just purchased some toddler gloves...

We cut the elastic cuffs off of them...

Then we put them on our roosters as collars
underneath their neck fan feathers...

They are the perfect size to just sit there...
until they inhale deeply enough to crow...

Then the elastic does its thing...
keeping them from inflating their necks deep enough
to crow effectively...

This little trick cuts their crowing volume down by 2/3rds!
and costs $1 for 4 of them at walmart..
LOVE this... but I wonder if they would fit my little silkie batam roo.

Sure it would fit.
It would just hang there all loosey-goosey-like, doing nothing to reduce the crowing, but looking rather stylish and hip!
lol.png
I wonder if there are infant gloves LOL... or maybe I'll use the infant socks =/

Anyone that can knit could make one custom sized.

Also for those that have problems with the yellow tag on their collar, would a black magic marker dull it enough so it wouldn't draw attention?

For those of you who had a rooster die unexpectedly while wearing a collar, please know that sometimes they just up and die. I lost a 1 yr old RIR hen yesterday for no apparent reason. She was fine one day and dead in the coop the next. No illness, no injury. No change in behavior the day she died. Had she been a rooster wearing one of these collars it would be easy to attribute an unexplained death to a collar. I think it just happens sometimes.

For those of you who had a rooster die unexpectedly while wearing a collar, please know that sometimes they just up and die. I lost a 1 yr old RIR hen yesterday for no apparent reason. She was fine one day and dead in the coop the next. No illness, no injury. No change in behavior the day she died. Had she been a rooster wearing one of these collars it would be easy to attribute an unexplained death to a collar. I think it just happens sometimes.
I am so sorry about your hen. You are absolutely correct. It does happen to our birds from time to time and it stinks when it does. The friend that I knew, however, came out in time to see her roo laying on his side, flailing and gasping for air. She was too late. So that happens, too. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying them.....I just wanted to let folks know that there are inherent dangers anytime we try to use artificial means to change or modify an roo's behavior.

Last edited:
hello, i bought a rooster from quietrooster.com i am so happy i did! this vet in oklahoma does this surgery on the roosters voice box where his crow is very quiet. i bought a welsummers rooster from him 5 months ago. he is a perfectly normal rooster except he is very quiet when he crows. i cant have a rooster where i live, but no one will know, as he is so quiet. i also have 1 rooster on a no crow collar, but he is still growing so i worry about him. also he doesn't look very good with the collar on. it messes up his feathers. if you need a rooster, check out quietrooster.com!!!

Back
Top Bottom