No Crow Rooster collar

Pics
An update. I found my rooster dead the other morning. After 3 months of no issues (after getting the collar set correctly to stifle his crow) he evidently choked on something he tried to swallow while wearing the collar.
I had been roosting him in my garage to keep the neighbors happy, but his day crowing was more of an issue I had thought it would be. Mostly, everyone discovered the out doors make noise in the summer months, which they suddenly discover as all the windows get opened during the summer heat.
I didn't think there would be any issues once the collar was set correctly, and was unsure of how I should deal with the collar while my roo was in molt.
I would advise that the collar be removed while your birds are molting. I think he was more desperate to eat items he may not have tried normally because he was building feathers. I also found a couple of ingrown feathers when I removed the collar from his body.
I will probably get a new collar for the next rooster I acquire, but I'll probably make a point of removing during the winter months and definitely while he's molting!

So far ours has been a huge success. It's a little daunting at first. When you put the collar on your roo he freaks out, runs around backwards and shakes his head violently trying to get it off. Then he'll start pecking at it and trying to pull it off (and probably will a few times, so watch them if you have a big yard unless you want to go around trying to find the expensive collars they've pulled off). Mine pulled his collar off three times before he gave up trying to remove it. He got his beak stuck in it twice and flopped about on the ground in distress until he freed it or I helped him. After that, he didn't try again. It's a bit shocking to watch your roo so distressed over something like that but it's important to remember that they DO calm down and adjust. Mine freaked out for about 6 hours and then just got over it. Now he barely notices it.

At first you want to put it on very loose just so that they get used to it. This won't do anything for crowing but it allows them to adjust. Then start to slowly and incrementally tighten it until you've achieved the desired effect. Within two adjustments my ancona roo (Mr The Conductor) just stopped crowing altogether. I just ordered a second one for my golden spangled hamburg roo (Wash) and I'll be going out this afternoon to check the fit again on Mr The Conductor. I think I'll loosen it a little for him. He has seemed totally fine but he's only 15 weeks old and I anticipate needing to adjust it weekly as he grows.

Last edited:
I own 8 roosters now and don't think crowing is a problem but my parents do sometimes so I wonder if its a good idea to try it or have them just deal with some loud boys.

Just an update on my boys and their collars. I was a bit lax with adjusting them and only got around to another adjustment a few days ago. They now tolerate their collars being put on just fine, no freak outs and still crow but quite quietly. All other noises they make are at full volume. The collar has only affected their crowing. Neither have ever shown any problems with eating or dominance problems at not being able to crow properly.

Now if only I could get them to stop jumping the fence and running wild in the playground next door...

Well, I bought 2 of these and I have been putting off using them, we really need to try. I've got a large farm but we don't live there. I just don't feel comfortable putting my chickens there, even with checking daily. Just too many concerns from wildlife, loose dogs, to theft. I will post updates on how it goes.

I had 83 chickens this year and about 30 roosters and the best solution for to many crowing roosters is to put them in the freezer and enjoy the meat later in the year.

I did a homemade rooster collar and it didn't work for me... the rooster would be quiet for a day or two but then he would get louder and louder and eventually get the collar off.

I did a homemade rooster collar and it didn't work for me... the rooster would be quiet for a day or two but then he would get louder and louder and eventually get the collar off.
The No Crow ones are a bit harder to get off but they do take adjusting. We had to adjust ours four or five times to get them right.

Well, I bought 2 of these and I have been putting off using them, we really need to try. I've got a large farm but we don't live there. I just don't feel comfortable putting my chickens there, even with checking daily. Just too many concerns from wildlife, loose dogs, to theft. I will post updates on how it goes.
It's much, much easier to put them on with a second person - just don't be too alarmed when your chicken freaks out after it's put on and thrashes about/runs backwards trying to get out of the collar. They hate the feeling at first but they get over it quite quickly. Mine no longer seem to notice it.

Well, when you are keeping a few roosters for breeding purposes...they aren't too useful in the freezer.
yuckyuck.gif
Your right I could see how that could be a problem well than I guess your roos will be luckier than around 20 of mine.

Back
Top Bottom