NO egg withdrawal period with valbazen.....

rhotes

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 30, 2013
El Paso, TX
NO egg withdrawal period with valbazen.... have you done it or know someone who has? Care to share your experience? No judgement here, just wondering. PS- please do not respond if you haven't personally done this or personally know someone who has. I already know all the reasons why you "shouldn't." But, hey, enquiring minds want to know!

It's not approved for use in poultry, so there's no known egg withdrawal period. Piprazine is the only approved wormer, and it only treats roundworms. Mary
Yes, because it hasn't been tested on poultry to establish a withdrawal period.

I'm sure if you use the advanced search function here for 'valbazen' and read thru a ton of posts,
you'll find folks who have used some kind of withdrawal period,
and some that have not done any withdrawal and are still breathing.
At the end of the day it'll still be your risk, or maybe your customers, to undertake as you see fit.

My vet recommends 14 days after last treatment, but I haven't had to use it yet.

Since 2016, approvals have changed. Now piperazine is no longer approved, and no loss, given it's limited usefulness. Fenbendazole is approved now, no egg withdrawal, and is a very good product.
Approvals are related, in part, to maintaining the usefulness of drugs used in humans. Very low doses promote drug resistance, not a good thing.
Mary

I've been using Valbazen and Safeguard for years in chickens without resistance issues. Both are excellent wormers.
Now that I have both, the girls will be wormed regularly. It's mostly wet and cold now in the PNW, but at least their run doesn't stay soggy. Would you recommend monthly, or bi monthly, or other? I see you're in the opposite corner of the US where it warmed year round.

Now that I have both, the girls will be wormed regularly. It's mostly wet and cold now in the PNW, but at least their run doesn't stay soggy. Would you recommend monthly, or bi monthly, or other? I see you're in the opposite corner of the US where it warmed year round.
Since your soil is cold and wet, I recommend worming once every 3 or 4 months.
You're right. Our soil is warm and moist/wet most of the time and I worm monthly.
We're currently getting a nice break from the rain and we're enjoying it. :D

Thank you for your recommendation. Have a lovely break. We have rain coming for at least the next several days. The girls are staying under cover, for the most part. Not their favorite thing, especially since I have molting ones.

Reading this post and wondering if I need to wear my chickens. I never have and have had one they were tell me I need to regulate and another neighbor told me she’s had chickens all her life and never has had to do it. I did buy some Valbazen last year and never used it. My ducks eggs are getting smaller and so I’m wondering… I have chickens and ducks and I need to know if I have to have a withdrawal. Or not as I have a woman buying out all of my chicken eggs every week - and she will not be happy if I tell her no eggs lol but I have to keep my flock healthy

Back
Top Bottom