NO egg withdrawal period with valbazen.....

Reading this post and wondering if I need to wear my chickens. I never have and have had one they were tell me I need to regulate and another neighbor told me she’s had chickens all her life and never has had to do it. I did buy some Valbazen last year and never used it. My ducks eggs are getting smaller and so I’m wondering… I have chickens and ducks and I need to know if I have to have a withdrawal. Or not as I have a woman buying out all of my chicken eggs every week - and she will not be happy if I tell her no eggs lol but I have to keep my flock healthy
I bet the woman that buys all your eggs will not be happy when she cracks open an egg and sees a worm in it.

I bet the woman that buys all your eggs will not be happy when she cracks open an egg and sees a worm in it.
🤢

Well the conflicting info confuses me. I’ve only had chickens for less than 2 years. The neighbor who only had chickens for awhile wormed hers. The one down the street who has always had them doesn’t Amd says she’s never had problems. So…. To work or not to work is there question. There’s no reason other than egg size and a drunk acting hen one day (i thought she was egg bound- maybe she was??) that makes me think. No evidence of worms. Idk what to do- Amd if I DO worm them should I throw away eggs for 2 weeks? Amd worm the ducks also?

Is that really a thing??? I don’t even know if they actually have worms! Was just told by a neighbor you need to do it every six months
It can happen that a worm will get into an egg, but it's pretty rare.
The only way to really know if your birds have worms is to get a fecal float done by someone who knows what they are looking for. Most worms are not visible in droppings. The symptoms you describe could be many things, might be good to start a new thread with the symptoms you are witnessing.
If you live in the steamy south, regular worming might be a good idea.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1648155022723.png

Valbazen is a Benzimidazole. Benzimidazole's are mostly excreted when given to poultry, only a small amount is absorbed into the bloodstream. There will be minute residue in eggs.
We eat the eggs after worming birds with Valbazen or Safeguard. I'm still here typing.
However, if you suspect that you or a family member might have a reaction to albendazole, by all means discard the eggs in the garbage for 2 weeks after the last dosing. Do not sell nor give away the eggs to be eaten.

You can gather fresh fecal samples in a ziplock bag and take them to your local vet and have the vet look at the feces under a microscope for worm eggs. If none are seen on the slide, no need to worm your birds.

Odds are you'll never see evidence of worms in feces. Worms are parasites, why would a parasite want to leave its host?
The only time you'll see worms in feces is if there is an intestinal overload, or a worm has died of old age.
Keep in mind that one female roundworm lays thousands of eggs onto the soil. Chickens constantly peck the soil and pick up worm eggs and swallow them, infecting the chickens. If you get the chance, take a look at the poultry roundworm lifecycle.

Your soil dictates how often you should worm your birds.

Valbazen is a Benzimidazole. Benzimidazole's are mostly excreted when given to poultry, only a small amount is absorbed into the bloodstream. There will be minute residue in eggs.
We eat the eggs after worming birds with Valbazen or Safeguard. I'm still here typing.
However, if you suspect that you or a family member might have a reaction to albendazole, by all means discard the eggs in the garbage for 2 weeks after the last dosing. Do not sell nor give away the eggs to be eaten.

You can gather fresh fecal samples in a ziplock bag and take them to your local vet and have the vet look at the feces under a microscope for worm eggs. If none are seen on the slide, no need to worm your birds.

Odds are you'll never see evidence of worms in feces. Worms are parasites, why would a parasite want to leave its host?
The only time you'll see worms in feces is if there is an intestinal overload, or a worm has died of old age.
Keep in mind that one female roundworm lays thousands of eggs onto the soil. Chickens constantly peck the soil and pick up worm eggs and swallow them, infecting the chickens. If you get the chance, take a look at the poultry roundworm lifecycle.

Now THAT is an informative and HELPFUL response/answer! TYSM!!!

Do I treat just once with Valbazen or do I repeat after a time?

Back
Top Bottom