Chickens + CBD + Eggs

CourtneyDK

In the Brooder
Oct 31, 2023
Hello everyone! Does anyone have any knowledge or information what chickens eat passing through into their eggs? I'm specifically concerned about CBD, if it could come through into the eggs. Reason being: My dad likes to bring scrap food for my chickens when he visits, and one of the items was a granola bar containing CBD. Probably very little, but nonetheless, my husband is a truck driver and is very strictly forbidden to have any CBD in his body or he could lose his job if randomly tested. So I've been trying to find info regarding whether or not he shouldn't consume our eggs for any period of time to be safe. I know the risk would likely be miniscule, but he is just that paranoid. I'm having a hard time finding any info regarding what a chicken eats and if it passes through into their eggs.
Thank you for any helpful info you can share!

Simply throw the granola bar in the garbage. Problem solved.
If I'm reading this correctly, I think the chickens already ate it.

my husband is a truck driver and is very strictly forbidden to have any CBD in his body or he could lose his job if randomly tested.
CBD or THC? I'm not sure why any employer would test for CBD - it is non-psychoactive. In fact, I'm fairly certain that drug tests don't even show CBD (they test for THC). I would see if your dad can give you more information on the product.

Hi, welcome to BYC! How many chickens are there? You are talking about CBD and not THC? I would be surprised if anyone tests for CBD, it’s a legal substance that is not psychoactive. It’s good for pain relief and stress, we use it all the time here.
But if you are worried about the eggs, then don’t eat them.
Scraps for chickens are not a good idea. They not only dilute the nutrition, but can attract varmints. I would tell your dad not to bring scraps.

Yes, the chickens already ate it. I don't know how many of the chickens came running for his "treats", probably just a smaller group but I have 40-something total.
My husband has been told by his employer that the problem is that the tests cannot differentiate between CBD and THC, or whatever the sometimes illegal stuff is. I'm not a drug expert to know all the terms.😄🤪 So he has just been told he needs to stay away from all in that plant family.
Thanks all for your input so far!

Yes, the chickens already ate it. I don't know how many of the chickens came running for his "treats", probably just a smaller group but I have 40-something total.
My husband has been told by his employer that the problem is that the tests cannot differentiate between CBD and THC, or whatever the sometimes illegal stuff is. I'm not a drug expert to know all the terms.😄🤪 So he has just been told he needs to stay away from all in that plant family.
Maybe just have some of your eggs tested to give you peace of mind.

Lol well I pretty much am a drug expert. cannabis anyways. CBD does not get confused with THC in the test. The reason CBD users getting positive THC test results is because they are using a massive amount of full spectrum CBD tincture or smoking tons of CBD flower which by federal law is allowed to have no more than like .05% THC which is minute but in large enough quantities will show up on a test.

The drug test doesn't even test for THC, it actually tests for a thc metabolite that CBD does not break down into.

Back
Top Bottom