No eggs after 2 weeks of laying

mjhough

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2016
I looked and couldnt find much inf on why. My barred rock and welsummer both started laying at the same time in nesting box. Had good production. Now nothing searched for broken eggs. They free range my yard looked all over in my hidden garden areas no eggs anywhere. My coop is secure so nothing is stealing them. Do they stop after their firat lay for a couple weeks? So far its been 10 days since they layed their last egg

Thanks for the help and sorry if this a repeat

Some do start and stop, so that's definitely a possibility, especially if your weather has been hot or even changeable. I would still keep an eye out for a hidden nest. They can be really good about it. I just found one that was in plain view but higher than my line of sight, my taller husband spotted it.

Lock 'em up!

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Wel they started again back in the nesting box guess ibwas a little too worried

Back
Top Bottom