No eggs after many productive months

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aelsner, Nov 12, 2014.

1. aelsner

aelsner New Egg

Nov 12, 2014
    Hi,

We purchased 4 one day old black Austerlorp chicks in March 2013. By laying age I was getting between two and four eggs every day. About three months ago (age 1 1/2 years) their production decreased to a total of about four to 6 eggs a week. They have not laid any eggs at all within the last 10 days.

We've been feeding them Purina Layena since the time they started laying. We also give them scratch every morning and various leftover raw veggies.

They started molting about three months ago which coincided with the initial reduction in laying. About a month or so ago they seemed to stop molting but about 10 days ago (right around when they stopped laying altogether) I have noticed a lot more feathers in the coop and in the run.

They do not seem to have lost any weight and they are active.

We live in a suburb of New York City, and they even laid productively during our awful winter last year.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thank you

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] They are right at that age when a molt and break in egg production are to be expected. They will begin laying again.

3. aelsner

aelsner New Egg

Nov 12, 2014
    Sorry to be such a newbie, but just how long does a molt last?

Thanjs

4. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I guess it depends on the breed.My white leg horn started molting some time in August.she laid her first egg yesterday.And than because of the shorter days.They slow down on their egg laying.The first year I had chickens.I put lights with a timer in their coop.And my hens laid heavy all Thur the winter.Than I read that its not good for them.We all need a break.so I no longer do the winter lighting.My hens are pets.and I enjoy taking care of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by