no eggs and an overbearing neighbor

I don't know if the problem is the scraps but that's gross! I'd throw them back over into her yard. My hens took a little break from laying but as soon as the days got longer and they were able to dig through the snow to forage in the earth they started again like crazy! I only have two hens, silkies no less, and I've got more eggs than I know what to do with.

I want to know what is happening now? do they lay? did she stop? you were nice hopefully she stopped you wouldnt let your neighbor spoil your childrens meals everyday you have to do what is best for your birds, your birds, your yard, your money, hopefully it goes well..
rant.gif
this would make me mad!!

kera! :

I want to know what is happening now? do they lay? did she stop? you were nice hopefully she stopped you wouldnt let your neighbor spoil your childrens meals everyday you have to do what is best for your birds, your birds, your yard, your money, hopefully it goes well..
rant.gif
this would make me mad!!

Yesterday I switched their feed to a higher protein one for game birds. And today is the first day they have been locked in their coop. I put a note on the coop incase she comes over telling her to NOT let them out, because otherwise it's likely she would (yes, another annoying problem I've been dealing with as we have 3 large dogs, 2 of whom would like a taste of chicken!).
I just checked for eggs and, wouldn't ya know, I found one warm egg in their nesting box. Someone asked if I had checked their run well to look for hidden nests, and yes, I did a very thorough cleaning and found nothing.
I sure am happy to see our first egg in almost a week!
I think it's still too early to figure out what the root of the cause is, but seeing the one egg sure was reassuring.
fl.gif

OH! Something else I wanted to ask you all... last night I cracked open the last 3 eggs we had in the fridge. They were about 1 week old and all had blood spots, 1 had meat AND blood spots, and 1 was really bloody.
sickbyc.gif
These could have been from my newly laying pullet, but I thought I'd throw that out there to see what you all thought.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Today is only their first day of them being locked up so it's hard to say. I will let you all know what happens over the next few days
frow.gif

I feed my chickens any and all scraps I can get. It has lots of lots of different nutrients maybe not available in feed. I think mites, moulting or just cold or weather could be cause of no laying. Maybe a varmit is trying to get them every night and has them upset. I would seven dust powder each chicken and check in night make sure nothing trying to get them

Quote:
Blood spots and MEAT???

Do you have a rooster? Has one of the hens been incubating the eggs? A broody hen (or hens) would also explain a sudden decline in egg production.

Last edited:
CIgal I had one pullet egg that the white was a very ruby red color also, after asking my feed store ladies who have chickens also, they informed me that is normal for a first time layer. I have had chicken for several years and this was the first time I had ever seen this. NOt to worry. I never sell my pullet eggs because of this. They are just trying to get their system to fuction right.

You have to worry about this neighbor feeding your birds AND letting them out? I guess I am not as understanding as some of the previous posters. My dad always says, "Good fences make good neighbors.", it is one of the few things I agree with him on. I would *politely* put up a very tall privacy fence. You should not have to stress out about what your neighbor will do on your property.

Quote:
Blood spots and MEAT???

Do you have a rooster? Has one of the hens been incubating the eggs? A broody hen (or hens) would also explain a sudden decline in egg production.

Weird, right?
No, no roosters, and no broodies.

Back
Top Bottom