no eggs and an overbearing neighbor

Quote:
Sounds like a well meaning neighbor, just too intrusive.

I'd suggest that you not let the chickens free range for a while, and put a padlock on their coop/run area. Two benefits there - one is that they can't get to all the scraps pitched over the fence and two, you'll establish whether they are laying or not. If they start laying again right away, you might wonder when was the last time the neighbor bought eggs.

The dietary balance may or may not be a problem. Wait and see what happens after you pen the chickens. And you might mention to the neighbor that meat scraps attract rodents and predators, both very bad for chicken health.

Is your neighbor older? I have noticed that older people sometimes need a bit of volume added to their conversation, so they can actually hear you. (and no, I am not gonna define older- my 55 year old DH can't hear worth a darn, so I now shout at everybody!)

Oh Boy, I just wrote a post about my hens starting to lay very well again after I ran out of scratch, you must tell her to stop. That is so totally unacceptable, tell her to get her own.

Quote:

I would not appreciate someone feeding my chickens without my permission. I know others have mentioned reasons for them not laying. But is there a possibility she is taking the eggs?
hide.gif
I hope I am wrong but just a thought. Hope it all works out for you. Good luck

I have feed my hens game bird feed for over a year I noticed that when they were free ranging and eating the layer feed that egg production dropped a lot so I did some research and found that when chickens eat other foods it drops the protein from their feed so I used the game bird feed which is higher protein and guess what my chickens are laying their feathers are really nice and fluffy they look really healthy. I would try this and see if it helps but I would ask her not to give them scratch due to that fact it is like junk food to us. Good luck

Quote:
My husband actually asked me if I thought this might be a possibility. I would hope not, but as others have suggested, I will be locking them up for a few days & will see if that is our problem.

Quote:
Sounds like a well meaning neighbor, just too intrusive.

I'd suggest that you not let the chickens free range for a while, and put a padlock on their coop/run area. Two benefits there - one is that they can't get to all the scraps pitched over the fence and two, you'll establish whether they are laying or not. If they start laying again right away, you might wonder when was the last time the neighbor bought eggs.

The dietary balance may or may not be a problem. Wait and see what happens after you pen the chickens. And you might mention to the neighbor that meat scraps attract rodents and predators, both very bad for chicken health.

Is your neighbor older? I have noticed that older people sometimes need a bit of volume added to their conversation, so they can actually hear you. (and no, I am not gonna define older- my 55 year old DH can't hear worth a darn, so I now shout at everybody!)

After all of the bad stories about neighbors, I guess it's better to have an overly helpful one than an evil one...

Several thoughts:
-Could you put a secondary fenced between you and the neighbor so the chickens can't get within 10 feet of the property line--if she's older it may be hard for her to lob the goodies that far

-Ask her nicely to not put bones over. Of all the scraps these are the worst. Maybe tell her your chickens are vegetarian.

-If the girls free-range a lot, check really hard for a concealed nest in your yard. I had to do this regularly last summer with my girls. Sometimes 10 eggs in a nest from 6 girls. They would move to a new nest site once I discovered the one they were using. I always knew to look when my production dropped off for a couple of days.

-Look for hen feed that is formulated higher in protein. I feed table scraps and scratch regularly and get a good number of eggs. I also feed Ranch-Way feeds 20% layer which is designed with higher calcium for laying hens but with 20% protein (instead of 16%) for those that feed scratch. Ranch-Way is a local feed mill and you may have one similar to them in your area that specially formulated feed as well.

Good luck!

I'm shocked at some of the replies on this thread, lol! Your neighbor is rude and intrusive and has no boundaries. Since you already made your wishes clear, I hope she will abide by them. I am curious to know if your laying has started after a few days of no free ranging. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom