No eggs at 22 weeks. Could be MY fault!

Samilitant

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 22, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Background info; 4 EE's, 2 BR's born about April 20'th, 2010. Both BR's have had big bright red combs/wattles for 2-4 weeks. They are all about 22 weeks now and no eggs yet.

I didn't know that you should switch your chickens off of "Chick Starter medicated" feed by 18 weeks and start them on "Layena", or another feed made for laying chickens. I just figured you were supposed to wait until they actually were laying eggs to switch the feed. I also had not been offering them the oyster shells until yesterday, and in 1 day they ate about 2 cup fulls. I gave another 3 cups today. Since they only eat as much as they need, I would assume they were greatly LACKING the calcium they needed to be healthy enough for egg production, meaning THIS could be why they have been waiting so long to lay. Unlimited food/water is always available, so I will update this post if they lay very soon. It is funny to me that wild birds can lay eggs without oyster shells, but maybe there are calcium sources out there, or they just don't need as much as chickens. Hope this helps!

Don't be too hard on yourself.
frow.gif
They are still pretty young. I'm a newbee too and at 20 weeks still no egg laying from my hens. I have 4 EEs and 3 Faverolles Hens. I understand that it can sometimes take much longer for egg laying than 22 weeks. 16 weeks is very early and 8 months is pretty late; however, we know this ... they will lay!!

My EEs just started laying at 25 weeks. We haven't offered any oyster shells as of yet either but we will when we go to the feed shop next. So far our eggs have been fine but our girls do have access to our compost pile and eat everything we throw out there. Our EEs were born in March and 1 laid her first egg 3 weeks ago, 3 others JUST started laying this week and the other 4 have yet to lay. From what I've seen on this board is that EE's are commonly late layers. Hopefully you will be getting some soon!

Actually, I didn't provide layer feed until the first egg was laid, either. But I did change over from chick start to grower/finisher feed when they were 12 weeks old (would have been eight weeks, but there was still some left... didn't want to waste it.)

Once I started adding younger birds to the flock, I had to stop the layer feed and have gone back to only providing grower/finisher feed, with free choice oyster shell. (Chicks 8 weeks old or younger still get chick start, though - they're not in the general population.)

At first I just left the layer feed in the main coop where the layers roosted at night, and put the grower/finisher in the run and for the grow-out coop of 8 to 12 week old youngsters. The "middles" were fine, but the layers preferred the grower/finisher feed in the run over their layer feed! Had a couple of soft eggs before the solution was offered here on BYC: feed everybody the same, provide the oyster shell on the side.

That works for me and my flock very well.

I don't think it's YOUR fault your pullets haven't laid eggs yet at 22 weeks. I wasn't going to even expect eggs until mine were 25 weeks old, but one gal started at 19 weeks. The rest followed between 20 and 26 weeks.

Besides, you really don't want to rush or kick-start the initial laying - it's better for them if they are fully mature to produce the eggs.

Just hang in there. Mine have only been laying now for 2 weeks and they will be 24 weeks old on wednesday. I still have 2 or 3 who havent layed yet but am hopeful they will start soon. After reading through many of the forums, I have concluded that chickens will lay when they are ready and not until then! The eggs I have gotten have nice shells on them and I have only just started giving them oyster shell. They are on layer feed and freerange in the evening (supervised). Its not your fault, they are just on their own time table!

Your birds will lay when they are ready. I am certain you have done them NO HARM WHATSOEVER.
I wish my fellow BYCers would have a little more faith in themselves and in the hardiness of poultry. Oyster shell or ground egg shell? Grit or gravel? Free range or covered run? These are all questions we get to decide ourselves! There is no one "right" way! Don't let anyone tell you that you messed up.
hugs.gif

Once in awhile we hear about some moron that is trying to raise chickens on white bread and worms. You know what? People that clueless do not spend time online RESEARCHING their hobby. I you are here of BYC, I believe you know enough & care enough to be a wonderful chicken keeper.
love.gif

They will probably wait to lay until a day when you have to work or be gone ALL day for some reason - then they won't do it BEFORE you leave...they will wait until you are gone, and come home SUPER tired, after stopping somewhere to chit chat with a friend, leaving you feeling a little guilty that you missed it because you had things to do that day! SO...make some appointments, go to the mall, stay busy for a WHOLE DAY...and I bet you will come home to your first egg! It worked for me
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom