No!!! eggs came, too soon!

farrier!

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Southern Illinois
I was carefully planning out my eggs to arrive close to the same day. My ebay eggs came today! My others do not ship until Monday. I know they need to sit for a bit but how long? I don't want them out so long I loose viability.
When should I start these and do I dare have 2 different hatching dates in the incubator?
Incubator is up and running for the last two days so at least that is OK.

Starting them at different times is fine as long as when you add the second group of eggs you watch the temperature closely-it will most likely change. Depending on what the ebayer told you (and how honest you believe they are) their eggs may be quite fresh and be fine sittin until the others arrive. We've had eggs that are 3 weeks old hatch, however, the earlier you get them in the more likely it is that you'll end up with chicks.
smile.png
Obviously your chicks will then only have a slight variance in age. Just make sure that they are walking steadily (I like to wait 24 hours after hatching if there is more than a days difference in age) and add them to the other chicks. I think it also helps to add when you're filling feed or they all are sleeping-they don't seem to notice as much.
We've had eggs hatching since last Saturday and I think they finally finished hatching today. They are all doing great together (and those a bit older would do fine as well). Oh! The only one thing I would reccomend would be not putting just one smaller one in at a time (by smaller I mean 7+days younger). They will tend to be picked on more if you don't put a few in at a time.

Good luck with those!

You could have two hatch dates but if you are getting your other ones Tuesday I would say its best to wait. Hatchability deceases after 7 days but eggs can be viable up to 14 days however I wouldn't hold longer then 7. do you know how old the eggs you have were when you got them? If the ones you have received already were shipped fresh your best bet would be to hold them til you get your eggs on tuesday and set them all together on Wednesday. Store the ones you have at about 50 degrees and rotate the carton twice a day while you hold one ones you already got. Good luck.

Thanks everyone!
I am going to start these tonight.
I will start the others together when they come and invest in a second bator to use as a hatcher in the next few weeks....
smile.png

I have had no communication from the ebay seller....maybe they are gone for the week.....
sad.png
I was just worried about letting them go for too long before starting.

If you are planning to get a second incubator to use for a hatcher why not just use it for the second batch of eggs instead of having a staggered hatch? It would be much easier that way and no worries about humidity changes and temperature fluctuations when transferring eggs to the hatcher that way.

Well.... ex husband is playing games with support payments. Last (late again) check is from a new account and with the holidays my bank will not clear it until the 27th. So, new incubator will have to wait until then.

Personally, I like to use one bator for incubating and one bator for hatching, since hatching does make a bit of a mess. That way one bator stays nice and clean.

Back
Top Bottom