No eggs for 4 days! BAH!

kellyjo8437

Songster
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Dunnellon
My 6 laying hens have suddenly stopped laying. After doing a google search and reading many posts here I see that it can be due to worms or heat. None are moulting and none seem sickly so those are my best guesses. I don't think they are eating eggs cause I put a few duck eggs in with them and they remained safe and there are no egg shells to be found. I live in Florida. The heat is nasty here and unavoidable.... Can I do anything to help with the heat? They have a great supply of fresh water, a roof on their cage for shade and we don't feed corn after February since it can cause overheating. Besides giving som watermelon and cool fruits now and then any other tricks? Or could they have stopped for another reason altogether? Thanks everybody :D

Most likely it's the heat. Give them time to adjust, they will start laying again. Fans in the pen, perhaps one in the coop like I have will certainly help get a breeze going to circulate the air. You can see in this pic that I have a fan in the back of the main coop. It blows air out the back vent, fresh air is drawn in through the side vents. There isnt any direct air flow blowing on the chickens at night.

Back
Top Bottom