No Eggs in 3 Days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CountryRoosterUSA, Jun 28, 2010.

1. CountryRoosterUSA

CountryRoosterUSA Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 8 Red Star and 2 Phoenix.. We have not had an egg in 3 days. I know it has been very hot and humid here in N. W. Tennessee, temps around 99 and heat index 105 - 110. [​IMG] All the girls are in good shape and healthy, so I'm thinking it's the weather... Am I right ?? We are pretty new to anything chicken and could use some help.
    Thanks

2. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    i'd say its the weather make sure they have enough water and some shade. Do they roam around your yard/acreage? because when I notice less eggs its normally because they have started to lay under the bush

3. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have them in a coop overnight? I had one hen, she wouldn't lay eggs if I let her out to free-range before she delivered her egg in the nest(some days as late as 2PM!) Now my new Bantam hen is acting the same: she wants to be in a pen beside the rooster to lay her daily egg.[​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We had record heat the week before...upper 90's, low 100's with very high humidity. One day I'd get 4 or 5 eggs, the next day I'd get 9-10 eggs. It went like that the whole week and I couldnt figure why. I thought they would shut down and only lay 2 or 3 if I were lucky. I provided them with chilled watermelon and chilled cabbage and put ice cubes in their water containers daily...maybe that helped with their egg production, I dont know. Dont get me wrong though, I've seen them shut down due to the heat many times before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by