No eggs in a year...

Just curious tho ... if they free range how much additional feed should each bird get... maybe they just haven’t had enough pellets. Although, i feed them no different than I have the past 9 years.

Just curious tho ... if they free range how much additional feed should each bird get... maybe they just haven’t had enough pellets. Although, i feed them no different than I have the past 9 years.
One of the amazing folks I tagged will know that information. I apologize but to be honest, I don't know this, but I am excited to learn the answer along with you. I have my feed available for my birds, free ranging or not, at all times to eat whenever they want, however much they want. I go through A LOT of feed though, so who knows. I am so anxious to learn the outcome here. I would be seriously scratching my head if I was in your shoes. I'm sure you are back and forth between feelings of wonder and concern. Hopefully the folks I tagged will help you get to the bottom of this. We're so lucky to have access to such amazingly knowledgeable folks!

One of the amazing folks I tagged will know that information. I apologize but to be honest, I don't know this, but I am excited to learn the answer along with you. I have my feed available for my birds, free ranging or not, at all times to eat whenever they want, however much they want. I go through A LOT of feed though, so who knows. I am so anxious to learn the outcome here. I would be seriously scratching my head if I was in your shoes. I'm sure you are back and forth between feelings of wonder and concern. Hopefully the folks I tagged will help you get to the bottom of this. We're so lucky to have access to such amazingly knowledgeable folks!
Yes thank you!
I’ve thought many things and have conducted many experiments to try and figure this out. I used to leave feed out 24/7 but had a few that would drop dead with the water belly. So I was worried I was over feeding . We haven’t had water belly issues since I put them on the all flock but I’ve just been feeding in addition to the free range instead of leaving it out ... both ways have produced no eggs. Locking them in didn’t help and just stressed them out .. I would think If they were hiding in a new spot then they would have layed something when we locked them in. I also thought a snake or something was getting them but before they stopped laying we were getting a dozen eggs a day. Surely If a critter was getting them we would see broken eggs 🤷‍♀️

Where are you located in the world?
The 1-2 yr olds I would *think* should be coming into lay if you are in the US, but chickens can be a bit odd.
3-6 yr olds, likely coming into lay too. My 4-5 yr olds have resumed laying.
You may have to sneak around and figure out if they are laying in a place you haven't looked.

I have pretty much always fed an all flock/flock raiser to my birds and haven't had any issues. Oyster shell free choice.
Even for free ranging birds, I put out feed free choice. Some days they do seem to eat quite a bit, others they don't but I have never measured the feed.

Hi! I’ve had chickens going on 10 years now and this is the first year I’ve experienced this problem. My chickens are usually free range and were on layer pellets. Last year around April/may they quit laying. Their ages range from 1yrs -9 yrs old. I realize the older hens will not lay often but we haven’t had any eggs in almost a year from any of them. I thought they may be hiding them and kept them up in their large run in for a few weeks but still no eggs. They have always been on a layer pellet but we were not getting any eggs. I did switch them to an all flock feed since we have a rooster and ducks but since they were not laying with a layer pellet I don’t think that’s the problem. I have added oyster shells free choice . They have plenty of water, room, and don’t seem stressed out. They are a mixture of Easter eggers,rhoad island red, few game birds, and barnyard mixes. Everyone looks healthy and active. Any thoughts?
10 year old chickens will not lay.

Back
Top Bottom