No eggs in over 3 months

Rochelesmit

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Centennial, CO
So we have 8 hens, 2 (barred rocks) are in their 3rd winter, the rest (EEs, 1 Wyandotte, and 1 wellsummer) are in their second. 4 months ago the younger ones started molting. Egg production from them almost completely stopped, with one or so eggs from them and 1-2 from the BRs each day that month. Then the BRs went into molt 3 months ago.
Feed high quality layer pellets, and lots of veggie and meat scraps.
We have had a light on in coop giving them 14-15hrs of light since the days started getting shorter. Also have well insulated coop and a paint can heater in the coop that turns on when temps are super low.
We haven't gotten even one egg since 3 months ago.
Last year, when the BRs molted, they only stopped laying for 3 weeks, then laid through the whole winter.
It's very aggravating that even though they are all well out of molt and they have plenty of light, that not a single one is laying.
Also, my friend got his chickens, (6) mostly same breeds at the exact same time as me (the ones in second winter) and he doesn't have an insulated coop, or heat, or additional light and he's getting 3-4 eggs a day!!!
It's driving me nuts!
Also just cracked open an egg from nestfresh cage free eggs and it had a flippin' roundworm in it. Now I don't want to eat store eggs EVER again!!!

I just want my own eggs again :( we were getting 6/day before this.

Somebody give me some hope!!!

So we have 8 hens, 2 (barred rocks) are in their 3rd winter, the rest (EEs, 1 Wyandotte, and 1 wellsummer) are in their second. 4 months ago the younger ones started molting. Egg production from them almost completely stopped, with one or so eggs from them and 1-2 from the BRs each day that month. Then the BRs went into molt 3 months ago.
Feed high quality layer pellets, and lots of veggie and meat scraps.
We have had a light on in coop giving them 14-15hrs of light since the days started getting shorter. Also have well insulated coop and a paint can heater in the coop that turns on when temps are super low.
We haven't gotten even one egg since 3 months ago.
Last year, when the BRs molted, they only stopped laying for 3 weeks, then laid through the whole winter.
It's very aggravating that even though they are all well out of molt and they have plenty of light, that not a single one is laying.
Also, my friend got his chickens, (6) mostly same breeds at the exact same time as me (the ones in second winter) and he doesn't have an insulated coop, or heat, or additional light and he's getting 3-4 eggs a day!!!
It's driving me nuts!
Also just cracked open an egg from nestfresh cage free eggs and it had a flippin' roundworm in it. Now I don't want to eat store eggs EVER again!!!

I just want my own eggs again
sad.png
we were getting 6/day before this.

Somebody give me some hope!!!

That store egg with the worm- how disgusting! What temp is your coop with the heat on? (unless it's minus 10*F w/o wind chill they don't need heat). do they have liquid water all day? Is it bright right over the nest boxes? They don't like that. The EE's and Wyandott are both cold hardy but still they sometimes take a winter break. I just lost my SLW but I have RIR's,BO's, EE's and Amberlinks that are 7 months old. They are giving between 9 and 11 out of 12 daily. My coop is not insulated, rarely use a heat lamp, no extra daylight, window faces North. I also have 2 six yr old's that stop and start, stop and start, and even they are giving a few eggs a week at the moment. Temp outside tonight is 3*F. IMO, toasty warm coops and a lot of extra day light are overrated. Try a twelve hr light cycle, no heat and let them have natural dusk so they go to bed on time and sleep well.
smile.png
welcome-byc.gif

Depending on the protein levels of the layer feed and the amount of meat they are given, they may be low on protein and still trying to recoup after growing new feathers.
Do you offer oyster shell separately?
Do they free range? They could have hidden nests.
Insulation and heat sound good(but really aren't needed) but do you also have adequate ventilation?

Just some ideas........and what the heck is a paint can heater?

No free ranging in the winter. Heated dog bowl water in the coop, also fill up water bowl on outside of coop daily. I'll have to check the protein content of the feed. Lots of oyster shell they get as well. The light turns on around 3:30/4am so they get natural dusk. Also it's in the top of coop, away from nests. Ventilation is good. I'm not sure if my husband has the paint can set up for 10 or 5 degrees to turn on.

A paint can heater is a paint can with a low watt lightbulb inside of it. When on, it raises the temp in the coop by 10-15 degrees. Comes from our homebrewing experience. We keep one in our fermentation chamber to keep beer temps stable when they need to be higher. My husband has everything automated (also stems from brewing) the light, their door, and the paint can heater. :)

I'm guessing it's just a long recoup from molting and that there's not much I can do about it :(

No free ranging in the winter. Heated dog bowl water in the coop, also fill up water bowl on outside of coop daily. I'll have to check the protein content of the feed. Lots of oyster shell they get as well. The light turns on around 3:30/4am so they get natural dusk. Also it's in the top of coop, away from nests. Ventilation is good. I'm not sure if my husband has the paint can set up for 10 or 5 degrees to turn on.

A paint can heater is a paint can with a low watt lightbulb inside of it. When on, it raises the temp in the coop by 10-15 degrees. Comes from our homebrewing experience. We keep one in our fermentation chamber to keep beer temps stable when they need to be higher. My husband has everything automated (also stems from brewing) the light, their door, and the paint can heater.
smile.png

I'm guessing it's just a long recoup from molting and that there's not much I can do about it
sad.png

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Good idea to check the protein but it seems like they are just on a break right now.
smile.png

The paint can heater, very crafty idea and sounds much safer than a heat lamp!
thumbsup.gif

A paint can heater is a paint can with a low watt lightbulb inside of it. When on, it raises the temp in the coop by 10-15 degrees. Comes from our homebrewing experience. We keep one in our fermentation chamber to keep beer temps stable when they need to be higher. My husband has everything automated (also stems from brewing) the light, their door, and the paint can heater.
smile.png

I'm guessing it's just a long recoup from molting and that there's not much I can do about it
sad.png
Sounds like a cookie tin heater but in a paint can instead of a cookie tin.

Back
Top Bottom