No eggs in weeks from Marans.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gabby3535, Jan 9, 2010.

1. gabby3535

gabby3535 Chillin' With My Peeps

My 1 BCM has not laid an egg in weeks!
    I know they 'slow down' egg production when the days get shorter.......and it has been reeeeeeealllly cold
    here lately (teens and 20's).........but no eggs at all from her?
    Is this normal?
    Or at least ok?
    She is acting fine.......
    eating, drinking, pooping fine.......
    Could she be egg bound, or is this just a winter 'hen thing' with some?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Wish I could tell you... I have 50+ hens, but was only getting 6 eggs a day. Then they started popping out 20+ eggs a day! No change in feed, amount of light, exercise, nothing. So all I can say is, "Go figure."

For the record, none of my friends' hens are laying well around here either (near Houston). Some set up lights to force egg production, but they're not getting any more than I'm getting without lights. So the only thing I can determine for sure is that all that miserable rain stopped for awhile and the sun returned.

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.ChickenTrackin.com

3. new_to_chickens

new_to_chickens Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2009
    I have six barred rock hens and two roos. The hens stopped laying about a month ago for about two weeks. Prior to that I was getting around four eggs a day. They are now laying again but only one or two eggs per day. The best I can tell it's because of the shorter days, but I think it has more to do with colder weather (at least for my flock). I am by no means an expert on chickens, but I don't think it is anything health related. But someone with more experience could tell you more. Hope this helps.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old is she? Could she be going into a molt?

My buttercup was 9 months old when she started her molt. My BR was 10 months old when she started. And they both quit laying for a couple weeks before I saw them losing feathers.

5. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Yeah, it's normal. Mine(marans) quit laying a couple of months ago and have just started back. The great thing about mine is onc e they start,they lay prety much non-stop until late Summer or until they go broody.

6. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    My two EE's stopped laying and are molting right now also. It's pretty normal this time of year when it's sooooooooooooo cold and the shorter days.

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I've got 8 cuckoo marans hens and have gotten ZERO eggs in like a month.

8. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I have 30 hens/pullets (5 are CMs) and Got 0 eggs today and have only been getting 1 or 0 a day the last couple weeks.

9. embkm

embkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Colbert, Ga
    I haven't gotten a single egg since the end of September. I specifically got breeds that were supposedly good winter layers too.

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Do you provide your hens with artificial light? If you're relying on natural light, she's probably stopped laying due to the shorter length of daylight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by